WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Any idea how to update libc6 to versions above 2.13?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline FuzzyQuills

• The Last Hedgehog
Any idea how to update libc6 to versions above 2.13?
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:12:11 AM »
So... I was able to use debian experimental PPA (using /opt/debextra, for those who are wondering how I did it) to make an updated libc6 sce. But I can't load it, as it claims that it's already installed, so...

How to force sce-load? I really need the update to work so I can get compton working. (It needs glibc version 2.15 to work, but the dCore wheezy image only has 2.13, as usual...)

And if force-loading a package is a no-go, how to manually update libc6?

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
Re: Any idea how to update libc6 to versions above 2.13?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
Not in dCore-wheezy, but dCore-jessie should run it as it has a new enough libc6 if upgrading to dCore-jessie is an option for you.

There is a -f force option in sce-load, but that is not the solution to replacing or upgrading libc6.

Offline FuzzyQuills

• The Last Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:14:04 AM »
So it's poor old wheezy's life support's fault... ;) Is there a way of transferring already downloaded SCE's to the new jessie install? (I would rather NOT go through the hell I went through last time when trying to get Xorg working properly!)

EDIT: Oh yea, how new? :D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:17:22 AM by FuzzyQuills »

Offline FuzzyQuills

• The Last Hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 04:24:24 AM »
One more question; what's the difference between the normal dCore jessie image and corePlus? From the bigger size, that tells me free packages on-disc... ;)

Offline nitram

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
One more question; what's the difference between the normal dCore jessie image and corePlus? From the bigger size, that tells me free packages on-disc... ;)

Some information already slightly out of date but it gives you an idea. If you are an experienced dCore user then the smaller install is a good enough start, sce-import can do the rest. http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:faq#what_should_i_download

So it's poor old wheezy's life support's fault... ;) Is there a way of transferring already downloaded SCE's to the new jessie install? (I would rather NOT go through the hell I went through last time when trying to get Xorg working properly!)

Take good notes and backup appropriate configs, then it's usually easy to go from one install to the next. If you can afford the drive space, *Core is nomadic, just keep your dCore-wheezy system as a fallback until the jessie system is set up. You can move the /tce directory around as needed, just reconfigure your bootloader.

Would imagine the SCEs should be re-imported in whatever new version you install to prevent conflict and problems. Although Wheezy no longer has the libraries you need, believe it's scheduled to receive security updates til 2018.

How new? If you are referring to libc6 in Debian Jessie:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libc6
Package: libc6 (2.19-18+deb8u3) [security]

Offline FuzzyQuills

• The Last Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »

Some information already slightly out of date but it gives you an idea. If you are an experienced dCore user then the smaller install is a good enough start, sce-import can do the rest. http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:faq#what_should_i_download

Take good notes and backup appropriate configs, then it's usually easy to go from one install to the next. If you can afford the drive space, *Core is nomadic, just keep your dCore-wheezy system as a fallback until the jessie system is set up. You can move the /tce directory around as needed, just reconfigure your bootloader.

Would imagine the SCEs should be re-imported in whatever new version you install to prevent conflict and problems. Although Wheezy no longer has the libraries you need, believe it's scheduled to receive security updates til 2018.

How new? If you are referring to libc6 in Debian Jessie:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libc6
Package: libc6 (2.19-18+deb8u3) [security]
Awesome. As for which ISO to download... I can probably take care of that with the minimal one. ;) (Yes, means package upgrade hell, but well worth it)

And awesome about the libc version, that's definitely what I am after. In fact, the only reason I picked wheezy was because for some crazy reason, I thought Ubuntu was based on it. (It may have been at some stage, but I think jessie's used now in the main branch)

Overall, thank you for your help, wish me luck. :)