WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: recovering from flaky thumbdrive connection  (Read 1635 times)

Offline kevinfish

recovering from flaky thumbdrive connection
« on: January 12, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »
Hi, I've got a rocking installation of dCore going on, but my nice, new, 128GB thumbdrive.   Even though normally it works fine, its case is kind of on the cheap plastic side and if I even slightly bump it, it momentarily disconnects, and then it won't properly reconnect and access the extensions or directories/files on it.

Now (it being a notebook) when I shut the lid, I can disconnect it, and then reconnect it before I open it and it seems to be okay.   The screen does go off when I do it so obviously its going to sleep to some level.  I've tried various combinations of closing the lid, plugging, and unplugging the thumbdrive after I've accidentally bumped it and it won't reconnect.

Can anyone think of some commands I can issue so I can keep working without using work?

TIA,
-Kevin

Offline nitram

Re: recovering from flaky thumbdrive connection
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:32:50 PM »
Can anyone think of some commands I can issue so I can keep working without using work?
Sorry don't understand what you're asking.

If your thumbdrive is new but flaky, can't you return/exchange it?

Don't know about the various power features with Tiny Core and laptops, but maybe take a look at Copy Mode (TCZ/Install + copy2fs.flg/lst). See modes of operation: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/concepts.html. Probably described better in the Core book.

Basically everything gets loaded into RAM at boot, so you can even remove the USB drive after boot and keep working. Obviously the drive would need to be attached/working if the /tce directory is on that drive and you need to add/remove extensions, but just for booting and running the system the drive can be removed after boot.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:48:05 AM »
I'm afraid a USB disconnect on a mounted drive cannot be recovered gracefully. I recommend loading everything to RAM like nitram said.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline kevinfish

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:33 PM »
Unfortunately I'm extremely restricted on RAM and I need this machine to do some pretty heavy lifting.

I don't think there is a flaw with this particular thumbdrive, per se, just that its designed with a cheap plastic case that doesn't solidly seat in the socket.   Soon I'll put it inside and solder it in place so I won't have this problem.  I was just wondering if there was some kind of remount command I could issue to get all the devices reconnected.

Offline nitram

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
Tiny Core allows use of either a swap partition or you can create a swap file if necessary via Control Panel -> Swapfile Tool.

"All of life's problems can be solved with two things-duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you need duct tape. And if it doesn't move and it should, you need WD40." - Unknown

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »
Regarding nitram's last comment, cf. the attached picture. It probably does not help in solving the problem but may make it lighter to bear.  8)