Author Topic: Help! Want to use Mplayer for DVDs (video) and CDs (audio)  (Read 12980 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Help! Want to use Mplayer for DVDs (video) and CDs (audio)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
Did you build a new gtk1 Mplayer on 2.0 with the latest svn?  Or is that the Mplayer that is in the repo now?  The one in the repo does not work well at all on 2.x.  Compiling against libtheora as well as the new glibc is what seems to make it all work.  I can upload a screenshot when I get back home to my build box if you need proof.  There are other things like audio cd support that I want to include before uploading an updated extension.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 08:03:21 PM »
Did you build a new gtk1 Mplayer on 2.0 with the latest svn?  Or is that the Mplayer that is in the repo now?  The one in the repo does not work well at all on 2.x. 

(respectfully) i don't know why you keep asking me things like this. the only thing i've ever been able to compile is zile, and only with instructions specific to zile, if i could compile my own stuff (i've tried, with help here, more than once) this wouldn't be an issue.

THE ONLY THINGS I USE and report here are extensions, from the repo. (TCE bugs. not compile problems.) IF i'm talking about something outside the repo (even outside 2.x repo in 2.x, or outside 1.x repo in 1.x,) i promise to mention it, it would be relevant.

edit: oh i see... YOU'RE talking about things that work if YOU build them, even though they're not available to us. if you haven't been specific about where you got the things that you report as working, you're going to mislead the rest of us (me) into thinking it's something i can just install with appbrowser :( and then it won't work, but i'll think it's something i'm doing. do let me know if your working version ever makes it into the repo.

i could have told you the gtk version in the repo isn't great- i usually use nodeps. i prefer extensions i can show off to people. "hey, look at this cool media player, it plays a video and then closes with some annoying error message!" "hey that's cool man, i'm just going to use windows." "no, but... linux is so great, mplayer just sucks. vlc player is good!" "then why are you using mplayer?" "i don't know!" also i can't figure out why the nodeps version (it is new, but i didn't build it) won't play the theora video.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:10:36 PM by tobiaus »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 05:28:08 AM »
I am going to cool off before I answer your post along with your ridiculous footer.  Better for all that way.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »
I am going to cool off before I answer your post along with your ridiculous footer.

if by "cool off" you mean you're offended, i don't require politeness from you, i'd rather you just pm me and let me know what's bothering you. you've always been helpful and i have no quarrel with you, go ahead and don't sugarcoat it for my sake. pm will ensure neither one of us is embarrassed. i'm sorry you think the footer is ridiculous, i don't intend to keep the sig indefinitely.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
You misunderstood which mplayer I was running I thought I stated I was using a test build.  So I asked were you running the extension or a new build when you countered my claim (since I thought stated I was running a new build), and you felt I was talking down to you.  Then I did not like your somewhat melodramatic response.  Looking back I see you stated that you were using the gtk1 version from the 2.x repo.  Misunderstandings happen, it is definitely not the first one involving me and probably won't be the last.  No hard feelings here. 

Though I had previously given up on updating the gtk mplayers they show a lot of promise building them with TC 2.x and they will be updated soon.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
So I asked were you running the extension or a new build when you countered my claim (since I thought stated I was running a new build), and you felt I was talking down to you.  Then I did not like your somewhat melodramatic response.  Looking back I see you stated that you were using the gtk1 version from the 2.x repo.  Misunderstandings happen, it is definitely not the first one involving me and probably won't be the last.  No hard feelings here. 

there was quite a lot of (temporary i hope) frustration over here for the moment, which has nothing to do with you but i'm quite sure came through in my post, i don't want to say "don't take it so seriously" because it might not sound honest even if it's what i mean. i don't want to say exactly that, but i think you took what i said um... i think you took more than i had any intention to say. that's easy for anyone, moreso online and i'm sure i do it, but zero offense taken and i'm glad it's mutual or at least close enough.

Offline mcewanw

any chance of mplayer being compiled to work with audio cds?
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 02:35:54 AM »
Quote from: curaga
you need to tell mplayer which device is your dvd drive:

mplayer -dvd-device /dev/hdc dvd://

For audio cds it would be

mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdc cdda://
I found the reason for cdda [above not working with mplayer] - it requires either libcdio or cdparanoia, and while nodeps is meant to not depend on anything, the gtk* builds could get the support in the future.

I'm really wishing this would happen; I'd love to use mplayer for playing audio cds.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »
The gtk1 version of Mplayer was rebuilt with cd audio support when it was updated.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 05:04:34 AM »
Ah... The trouble is, I was originally trying to see if I could run my old system without gtk2 at all, since gtk1 apps often seemed smaller and faster, but too many apps I wanted to use were gtk2, so I gave up on the gtk1 only idea.

Then I decided I wouldn't install gtk1 at all to save some resources (why have both?)!
So I'm using the gtk2 version of Mplayer...