WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Check onboot unneeded  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Check onboot unneeded
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
Hi emninger
Would it be safe to copy a "mydata.tgz" to let's say "mydatadefault.tgz" to have at least a secure fallback - at least as long as i'm playing around with the bootcode settings?
Yes. If something gets messed up, copy it back to mydata.tgz, then reboot without running a backup.

Offline emninger

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »
Hi emninger
Code: [Select]
opt/.filetool.lst   
opt/eth0.sh
home/tc/
Not needed, your  /opt  and  /home  directories are persistent. I wouldn't be surprised if this accounts for the bulk
of your backup.

See my answer to misalf. The last time i changed here, i lost all my settings. It was frustrating ... :-( If it is a safe way to restore a mydata.tgz to mydatadefault.tgz (or something similar) and if reconverting it to mydata.tgz - in case of breaking something - would restore my setup, i'll give it a try :)

etc/Gerald_clark already told you that you should not backup up this directory. If you need  passwd, shadow, or other
files backed up, list them.
I excepted all subdirectories in my .xfiletool.lst; i did this to safe passwd pwasswd- and others which i believe are needed to disable the autologin (?)

usr/local/etc/
usr/local/share/X11
usr/local/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf
usr/local/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf
Don't backup  usr/local/etc, only any files you modified in there. Why are you backing up  usr/local/share/X11?

I feel like I'm repeating myself.

Because of the keyboardsettings ...

Offline Misalf

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 02:17:30 AM »
See my answer to misalf. The last time i changed here, i lost all my settings.
That doesn't make sense. You just said you lost your settings after removing the  local=  boot code - not after adjusting  /opt/.filetool.lst .
Also note:  /opt/.xfiletool.lst  is for excluding files from the backup!

You might want to change that to
usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline emninger

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 04:57:09 AM »
See my answer to misalf. The last time i changed here, i lost all my settings.
That doesn't make sense. You just said you lost your settings after removing the  local=  boot code - not after adjusting  /opt/.filetool.lst .
Also note:  /opt/.xfiletool.lst  is for excluding files from the backup!

Hmm ... :sgrat: Exactly, i used .xfiletool.lst to exclude all /subdirectories from /etc - so, i think i only get the single files in /etc, where sit some important config settings.

My .xfiletool.lst:
Cache
cache
.cache
XUL.mfasl
XPC.mfasl
mnt
.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache
.macromedia/Flash_Player
.opera/opcache
.opera/cache4
.Xauthority
.wmx
etc/fonts
etc/init.d
etc/modprobe.d
etc/pcmcia/
etc/profile.d
etc/skel/
etc/ssl/
etc/sysconfig/
etc/udev

You might want to change that to
usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

Yeah, i see. I was unsure, if there were other settings involved. But, indeed, most, i moved to home ... (in .Xresources, .gtkrc-2.0 and .gtkrc-2.0.mine ) but i'm bit anxious because fontconfig did not form ~.fontconfig file, which i'd expect to be there.

Offline emninger

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 05:36:09 AM »
Hi emninger
Would it be safe to copy a "mydata.tgz" to let's say "mydatadefault.tgz" to have at least a secure fallback - at least as long as i'm playing around with the bootcode settings?
Yes. If something gets messed up, copy it back to mydata.tgz, then reboot without running a backup.

Hi there. I did (= excluded all opt and home from backup) and indeed, loading time now is less than the half! And all the settings are there - as far as i see in this moment.