WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Another extension maker  (Read 2446 times)

Offline yiyus

Another extension maker
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
I know there are a few of these, but anyway... I have written another extension maker. You can find it here:

https://github.com/yiyus/tce-make

It consists of a shell script that reads tcm files. These files are very similar to .tcz.info files, but have some additional fields to indicate where to download from, which are the loading and building dependencies, and commands to run. See, for example:

https://github.com/yiyus/tce-make/blob/master/dvtm.tcm

I am using it to build abduco, dvtm and zpaq extensions (the tcm files of all them are included in the repo). It may be useful for other simple extensions, but I would not recommend it for difficult ones.

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
Re: Another extension maker
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:56:37 AM »
Hi!

Could you try to use this tools to create the virtualbox-ose-module (guest-additions) for Core 6.x?

Thanks.

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:52:56 AM »
Hi. Do you know that already exist a build environment called tc-ext-tools which was used in tc 4 for creating many many extensions and needs little modifications to make it work in tc 6?
dCore user

Offline yiyus

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:38:43 AM »
Yes, I knew about the existence of tc-ext-tools, but it was not what I was looking for.

Currently, the extensions I maintain are abduco, dvtm and zpaq. Making extensions for them is extremely simple, because you only need to download and run make to build the programs. However, I wanted to do this in an automatic way to facilitate updating them.

I searched for available tools, but I found them (and, in particular, tce-ext-tools) too complicated for my purpose. Only reading and understanding the documentation and the examples would have taken me much more time than writing the few lines of shell I needed. Moreover, since the extensions were so simple, I did not want to maintain more than a file for each of them, so I wrote tce-install.

The script currently has less than 150 lines, which is orders of magnitude smaller than tce-ext-tools. As you can see, the examples included are very simple, and it is not intended to do much more. It was supposed to be a tool for personal use, but I thought somebody may find it useful.

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
Can you update the no-ip extension with your tool?

Offline yiyus

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
@Zendrael: tce-make just runs ordinary shell commands. Basically, the only difference between tcm files and any other shell script is that you can define the fields of the info file using a 'Name:' syntax and some additional commands are run at exit.

The thumb rule is: if you have a simple build script to put all the files in the right place in a subdirectory and an info file, you can merge them in a tcm file and use tce-make to prepare the submission files. But, unfortunately, it cannot make a tcz to appear magically just telling its name.

I do not even know the virtualbox-ose-module or no-ip extensions. If building them requires no much more than downloading from a git repository and running make, you could probably modify one of the included tcm files to build (and maintain) it. I will be glad of helping with specific problems if you find any.