WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I save my wbar settings for every reboot?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Cecil

How do I save my wbar settings for every reboot?
« on: January 21, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »
So I have spent hours trying to learn this and figure this out and finally after so much research and experimenting I have found out how to make custom icons with extensions in the wbar by editing the "/usr/local/tce.icons" file. However, after every reboot it doesn't save my changes I made to tce.icons. This was very frustrating and after several more hours I figured out that you can delete the symlink "/home/tc/.wbar" and replace it by copying the real "/usr/local/tce.icons" to "/home/tc" and renaming it .wbar. This has worked in saving my changes at reboot however I cannot make changes to wbar in ControlPanel - tcwbarconf as it is only configures the file "/usr/local/tce.icons" and not "/home/tc/.wbar". Also, when I install new tcz extensions it also doesn't save to "/home/tc/.wbar". Is there a more proper way to set this up so that I can configure wbar using tcwbarconf and also add extensions to wbar when I install new tcz applications but still be able to tweak the "/usr/local/tce.icons" file and have it save for every reboot? I have tried adding usr entry to "/opt/.filetool.lst" as well but it still doesn't backup the "/usr/local/tce.icons" file. It has taken me several hours to try and figure out something that should be so simple and I have been having the hardest luck. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!! 

Offline Misalf

Re: How do I save my wbar settings for every reboot?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
/usr/local/tce.icons  gets rewritten each time you start the desktop and when loading extensions containing a *.desktop file.

You could f.e create a  /usr/local/share/applications/<YOUR-WBAR-ICON>.desktop  file and add it to your backup.

Or abuse the OnDemand feature by placing a script that executes your desired command, and a PNG icon with the same name, but with *.img file name extension, at  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ondemand .
ICON:    /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ondemand/firefox.img
SCRIPT: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ondemand/firefox

Restart X to see changes.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
One of the important aspects of TinyCore is that it's dynamic, icons and the positioning of icons on the wbar changes as you install new extensions

Yes you can change the layout (if that's your goal?) but personally I think you're fighting a loosing battle and better to put energy into something you can control

You can make changes to the desktop file so that icon consistently appear as desired but you'll break other features, tce updates for example.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »
Look at icewm and/or idesk.