Author Topic: Creating submenus in TC2.0RC4  (Read 5416 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Creating submenus in TC2.0RC4
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 05:54:06 AM »
Situation is not so bad. I did the following:

- Kept the menu file (e.g. hamradio) including the submenu definition as it is now but renamed to hamradio.in

- Created a small shell script which renames hamradio.in to hamradio if doesn't exists at startup

- If hamradio already exists, extracts the '<Program label...' line(s) from hamradio.in and inserts to hamradio sorting the items

- When finished, hamradio.in is deleted

It works fine built into my test .tce extensions. This mechanism can be added easily to TC. The nice part is that it is compatible with the current solution, so no need to repack extensions.

Well, .tcz need some attention due to its r/o nature.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:56:47 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »
Upon further thought, I am not going to experiment with submenus in the wmaker extension.  It will involve a degree of time and additional complexity that is honestly not worth the result.  And my thought of submenu was categories of extensions, rather than adding submenu entries to existing menu items.  Honestly I prefer the current design and will not embark on changing wmaker or it's menu function.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:31:43 AM by Jason W »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »
Ok, leave it for the next major release. However I miss a way to put applications to a separated category similarly as Tools, XShells, ... as it is in many other WM. It is useful.

Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 09:30:37 AM »
First of all, TC does support a submenu within a single menu element, witness ace-of-penguins, OSS, and others.

What seems to be suggested is targeted merging with alpha sorting with categories defined within the menu of Applications (extensions).

This is one of those areas that you can please some of the people some of the time, but not everyone.
Those that use few extensions would have to navigate down to extra submenu while currently they do not.

If you find yourself always using the same set of applications, you can choose to disengage from the dynamic menu creation without programming changes, Do such by deleting or commenting out the  <Include>/usr/local/tce.menu/menu</Include> line in your .jwmrc and instead merge in your existing /usr/local/tce.menu/menu to .jwmrc and then edit to your liking. Note by such decision, you are opting out from further dynamic menu creation. So it depends on how you use your system and how dynamic the application set will be,
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.