WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Gateway NV510P  (Read 1687 times)

Offline edgardogho

Gateway NV510P
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
Hey all,
I recently got a Gateway NV510P laptop. I had to compile my own kernel since it had some weird video problem on i915 that required a new kernel. I used 3.14 and 3.17. Kernel 3.12 did not work.
I also had to compile with PAE. This laptop has only 4GB RAM but I without PAE it would only pickup 2GB.

The biggest problem I got was with Pulseaudio+Alsa. Changing the volume level while playing a Cd on VLC crashed pulseaudio 4. The problem was in pcm.c in the snd_area_copy function. An Assertion was triggered and it crashed Pulseaudio.
I originally tried recompiling pulse and using pulseaudio 5, but that did not fix the problem.
I later found out that pcm.c was a part of alsa. I compiled alsa 1.0.28 and it worked. I had some problems since I was mixing different versions on libasound , but after placing the libasound generated by alsa 1.0.28 everything worked perfectly.

I Notice the version of libasound in the tinycore 5 repo is older than the version of alsa. Could it be that this belongs to a different alsa build?

I follow the compile steps in the src/ for alsa (lib and utils) and worked great. The xml patch was required too for 1.0.28.

Offline edgardogho

Re: Gateway NV510P
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »
I had problems using Kernel 3.17.2 on this laptop. When using flash based video (specially Hulu with chrome) at random time (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes an hour, sometimes 2 hours) the computer freezes and the fan starts to speed up. There is no message on dmesg left behind or nothing printed anywhere. Magic SysRq does not seems to work either. I'm currently using kernel 3.14.25 and don't seem to have this problem.