WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [solved] How do the tce.wbar file entries get filled in from a tce ?  (Read 5307 times)

Offline bigpcman

I thought I had this figured out but I guess not. My tce installs a "mybutton" file and "mybutton.png" file into the tce.icon folder. I thought the contents of "mybutton" would then be automatically transferred into the tce.wbar file either by the tce installer or wbar.sh but that did not happen. So I'm still confused about how wbar works.

mybutton file
Code: [Select]
i: /usr/local/tce.icons/mybutton.png
t: button
c: exec /usr/bin/aterm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:09:37 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: How do the tce.wbar file entries get filled in from a tce ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
It would only work if your extension was named "mybutton.tce" (or .tcz or .tce[ml], but anyway)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
Well I'm back on the trail trying to solve this problem.  I've tightened up the the diagnosis by creating a very limited test case. First I created a minimal tce with the following content:
usr/local/tce.icons/zzzmydesktop
usr/local/tce.icons/zzzmydesktop.png
Then I created a zzzmydesktop.png and wbar entry file with the following content:
i: /usr/local/tce.icons/zzzmydesktop.png
t: Test
c: exec /usr/bin/sudo aterm

With this stuff in place I rebooted (several times) and never do I get wbar entries installed. The tce is installed correctly as near as I can tell. The two tce files are in /usr/local/tce.icons  and the /usr/local/tce.installed folder has a zzzmydesktop entry.

If I remove the zzzmydesktop file from the /usr/local/tce.installed folder and reload the tce ( tce-load /mnt/sdc1/tce/zzzmydesktop.tce) then the wbar button shows up and works correctly.

I chose zzzmydesktop.tce as a name so that it would be loaded last. I wonder if there is a timing problem in the tce installer?

edit: Another clue - if I delete the tce and the tce installed files and reload the tce that works as well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:20:19 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »
tce-load is for loading extension "packages", i.e, additional applications.

The specifications used, are the following:

* Applications can be command line or self starting  meaning no menu or no icon.

* Most other applications need at a minimum a menu item so the user booting noicons can access the application. This means at minimum a menu item.

*Otherwise extensions typically consist of both a menu item and an icon item.

You are not making an application extension, but appear to want to have an additional icon for an alread installed application 'aterm'. This does not fit the specifications of an application extension. In order to meet the specs you need a menu item.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bigpcman

[solved] How do the tce.wbar file entries get filled in from a tce ?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:08:34 AM »
Ok, that makes sense and did indeed fix the problem. I simply created another file with the emelfm2 menu entry contents and added it to the tce as a test and that resulted in both menu entries and the wbar icon being installed. The menu file was installed in /usr/local/tce.menu with the following contents. It's interesting that the installer picks up the "jwm" entries and places them in the menu system even though I'm running flwm (tc2.0rc21).

<JWM>
<Menu label="emelfm2">
<Program label="emelfm2">/usr/local/bin/emelfm2</Program>
<Program label="emelfm2 as super user">sudo /usr/local/bin/emelfm2</Program>
</Menu>
</JWM>

So it is interesting to note that the tce boot installer requires a menu entry if there is a wbar icon entry but the the tce-load program does not.

Also note although this may or may not be a good idea, multiple icon entries can be installed with a single wbar application file in the tce. For instance:

i: /usr/local/tce.icons/zzzmydesktop.png
t: Test
c: exec /usr/bin/aterm
i: /usr/local/tce.icons/zzzmydesktop2.png
t: Test2
c: exec /usr/bin/sudo aterm

Both png files would of course have to in the tce.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:58:49 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: [solved] How do the tce.wbar file entries get filled in from a tce ?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
It's interesting that the installer picks up the "jwm" entries and places them in the menu system even though I'm running flwm (tc2.0rc21).

not too interesting......that's the standard way for including menu items, as noted in the wiki and elsewhere.