WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: X newbie question  (Read 2193 times)

Offline volumetricsteve

X newbie question
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
I got the 15MB install for tinycore to finally work on my dev laptop after fighting with network issues, but now I can't get X to work..or rather I have no idea what I'm doing and the basic stuff I've found doesn't seem to work

I installed tinycore, and it boots to command line, I tried to use tce to install xorg which seems to have worked, but when I reboot it it says:
-sh: startx: not found

I noticed I also don't have an /etc/x11 directory, so something isn't right.  Is there another thing I need to install?  thanks

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: X newbie question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
tce-load -iw Xvesa Xprogs flwm_topside wbar
xsetup
startx

Once you get it working with Xvesa you can experiment with Xorg and the hardware drivers.
Please read the book linked at the top of the welcome page.

Offline imaad

• stii ... nu intodeauna stii
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
Have you installed the Tiny Core on HDD or USB ?
If the tiny core is installed in USB you need to put "waitusb" at boot ("You may have a slow USB device. Reboot and try "tinycore waitusb=20")

I have installed TC on usb and sometime the GUI interface is not loaded.

If you have installed TC on HDD in this cas is not normal. Put "showapps" on boot, you must see all the extension which are loaded.
Normally after installation you must have Xvesa as GUI, you can use Xorg ( Xorg-7.7.tcz ) remove Xvesa and install Xorg.
If you don't have X11 on etc directory you an create the directory yourself and then you can put on X11 directory all the X configuration (keybard, mouse, touch input, etc...)   
Best regards,
imaad

Offline volumetricsteve

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
gerald_clark - thank you, oddly enough, running xsetup appears to have done nothing, or if it did, it was very very fast and very silent.  I do get a GUI at startup though, so that's a step in the right direction.  I will absolutely try and read through the book you mentioned.

imaad - HDD, although I can see it's doing the slow-device wait regardless...I wonder how I'd get it to not do that, but it doesn't matter too much at the moment.  I installed Xvesa and Xprogs by gerald_clark's advice and now I get a GUI at start up.  If memory serves...Xvesa works on some hardware, Xorg works on some other hardware, you just have to find which works for your specific case, right?  I *think* my dev laptop has an intel x3100 graphics adapter.   

Regardless, my issue is just about resolved, I'm just on to my next question...which is to figure out how to configure X to not load a window manager and load a game instead.

Thanks for your help!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
Xvesa works on all hardware.  Xorg has drivers for improved performance and more resolutions.
Just don't install a windows manager.
Launch you game in .X.d as covered in chapter 19 of  the book.

Offline volumetricsteve

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
Ahhh, I see, thanks again!  (should I be concerned that xorg isn't working for me on a chipset as commonplace as the intel x3100?)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
Did you load xf86-video-intel.tcz ?

Offline volumetricsteve

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
No sir, it would appear I did not...I have a lot of reading to do.  Thanks again for all your help