WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Scientific and astronomy extensions  (Read 7647 times)

Offline bob839

Re: Scientific and astronomy extensions
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »

Thank you for explaining, tinypoodle. Could you possibly provide me with a link to the same package you used?

As for xplns, I am sorry, but I have no idea what should I do next... There is not a .deb package on xplns website available. It is only mentioned on the site, that one could use 'alien' to install it on Debian/GNU Linux.

Thank you for testing dosemu and 8086tiny. I will try to run it, because it seems that my machine should be able to run it without any problems. :)

Offline tinypoodle

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bob839

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »

Yeah, some progress on my end! :) Thanks to your advice I was able to run sc and it works, so spreadsheet problem is solved.

I was able to run dosemu, however, I have some doubts. I have attached two screenshots (one that shows dos prompt after boot with some errors and the second that shows SkyGlobe running) and boot.log that dosemu created on start. There is also visible an error about root path to /media/cdrom in my aterm session - my terminal doesn't have any cdrom drives, so that is why? Can I disable it somehow?
And the first error about Segmentation fault is when I tried to run dosemu from userlevel. The only way I could make dosemu start was running it using sudo dosemu... and I don't feel comfortable running it that way. Is there any solution to this?

To sum up: my math problems are solved by bc, dc and sc (yeah, I love this short names! :) ), dosemu is somewhat working, I was able to run SkyGlobe, xplns unfortunately I have no idea how to make it work and I would love to have it running, because it is so much of a step forward compared to SkyGlobe...

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »
Output I get is very similar with yours, however, I have no problem at all running as user tc; you may have screwed up something related to permissions.

WRT boot.log, I notice the following diff:

Code: [Select]
-device: /etc/dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
-device: /etc/dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:
+device: /home/tc/.dosemu/drives/c type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive C:
+device: /home/tc/.dosemu/drives/d type 4 h: -1  s: -1   t: -1 drive D:

Not sure if you need to run as root because your user files are in /etc or if your user files ended up in /etc because you ran as root...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bob839

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
The files ended up in these folders, because I wasn't able to run dosemu unless I copied the files from test folder to system folders, so the binary could find the rest of needed files by dosemu.
BTW, is the whole system flushed after reboot? Dosemu was gone when I rebooted my system. Only the files from my home dir, installed and configured extensions and settings were preserved.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »
Please read about persistence and backup in the wiki.

Offline bob839

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 12:58:56 AM »
Thank you, gerald_clark. I have read it and now I know in detail what things are persistent and what aren't. :)
As for this thread's topic, I would like to leave it open, because although I have now all my math, spreadsheet and DOS things working, I would love to have xplns too.

Nevertheless, as for now - I would like to thank all the kind people involved in this conversation. I really appreciate all your invaluable help. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have succeeded so far! :)