WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Modem Firmware  (Read 3165 times)

Offline kerpob

Modem Firmware
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
I've found that sometimes my modems (in my case wireless) don't work on various distros (including tinycore) because of missing firmware. The solution is fairly straightforward - I go to my ubuntu distro and find the firmware there.

Instead of relying on ubuntu, would it be possible to have a tce/tcz that adds all the firmware?

See here for more details of a Debian package that does just that: http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/05/11/tip-debian-linux-kernel-firmware-issues-ethernet-drivers-missing/

Edit - what happens is that you can see the modem with "sudo ifconfig -a" command. However, when you try to activate it with "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" the error returned is "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device" which I know from experience with Arch is missing firmware.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:34:58 AM by kerpob »
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline kerpob

Re: Modem Firmware
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:43:15 AM »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:06:49 AM »
For reference, that extension does not add "all" firmware, only those that ship with the kernel. For undistributable / vendor firmware users still need to get them from the vendor.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline kerpob

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »
For reference, that extension does not add "all" firmware, only those that ship with the kernel. For undistributable / vendor firmware users still need to get them from the vendor.

If it just covers what Ubuntu has then that'll do me.