Author Topic: How is the "Current" version different from the latest numbered (5.01)?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline pianonut

My first boot from a CD with the "current" tinycore worked ok once I found out how to bring in utilities I wanted to use from the "Cloud".
However, the instructions from the site for setting up the USB stick mode could not be followed because the original screen did not allow me to type in the "tinycore waitusb=10" command I was told to use.  During that first session I apparently changed the configuration such that the my HD had some kind of information stored that misdirected subsequent attempts at booting up in tinycore.  I was unable to get into a GUI again and did not know what commands to use at the command line level I was allowed to use.   One of my attempts to reboot led to an error message that said that the monitor width, height, frequency from the computer did not allow a GUI.  If I knew WHERE that configuration misinformation was stored, I could eliminate it and at least play with tinycore with a GUI.  Should I have used the 5.01 iso that was offered instead of the "current" version??

Offline coreplayer2

Re: How is the "Current" version different from the latest numbered (5.01)?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »
Welcome

Typically, the boot configuration files for a USB drive are stored in extlinux.conf file located usually at

/tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf  or
/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

adding waitusb=5 to the command line is usually sufficient, similar to this

kernel /boot/vmlinuz
append initrd=/boot/core.gz loglevel=3 waitusb=5 tce=UUID="c4d1fd25-16d2-41bf-8de4-2986104f99a4"

note that depending on the installation method the location and file name extlinux.conf might differ slightly, you may find either
isolinux (normally used in CD's), extlinux or syslinux.conf files,   expecting extlinux.conf installed to a USB thumb drive however.

You may find that using UUID to identify the USB drive will help the system find the correct device by specifying the UUID along with waitusb=5 like this
 waitusb=5:UUID="c4d1fd25-16d2-41bf-8de4-2986104f99a4"
see the wiki for more info

You may also find that adding  tce=UUID="c4d1fd25-16d2-41bf-8de4-2986104f99a4"  to the same boot config as above will help with storing extensions over reboots, see the persistence section of the wiki for more info

tc-5.0.1 is the current release I believe
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:56:43 PM by coreplayer2 »