WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OSS for 5.0  (Read 6726 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: OSS for 5.0
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 04:08:23 AM »
That's only the 32-bit modules, or did you build 64-bit too?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
Have build the complete OSS 32bit applications and modules for starters

not stripped either, yet

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:37 AM »
As some of the scripts were edited, and the apps haven't changed, please only submit the modules - we can likely copy the main extension as-is.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 01:08:36 PM »
As some of the scripts were edited, and the apps haven't changed

Am wondering which scripts we are referring to? perhaps the original OSS extension had some optimizations you'd like to keep ?

When checked against the original apps, there are some differences to all but a couple of apps in terms of compared final compiled size,  exactly what changes to the code are I'm not sure, didn't check but these version are directly from the latest git source.
Whatever you say though, I'll fire up the original OSS extension with the new modules and test it.

How about identifying which if any of the discontinued modules need to be added?  The OSS team put aside the modules listed in above post, considering neomagic was a common audio chip back in the day (15 years ago), takes only a few minutes to run the build script another time.  Probably no one has any of these chips?  Was just a thought.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:10:07 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
curaga,  you'll be pleased to hear your original OSS.tcz loads and osstest plays without error additionally is considerably more compact than the latest version.  Looks like it can be copied as is to the tc-5 repo, will work some more on the modules (particularly 64bit versions)

Original OSS.tcz + new 32bit modules
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ tce-load -i OSS
/etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/OSS.tcz: OK
tc@box:~$  osstest
Sound subsystem and version: OSS 4.2 (b 2006/201309262222) (0x00040100)
Platform: Linux/i686 3.8.10-tinycore #3810 SMP Tue Apr 30 15:45:26 UTC 2013

*** Scanning sound adapter #-1 ***
/dev/oss/oss_ich0/pcm0 (audio engine 0): Intel ICH (2415)
- Performing audio playback test...
  <left> OK <right> OK <stereo> OK <measured srate 48150.00 Hz (0.31%)>

*** All tests completed OK ***
tc@box:~$

:)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:38:06 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
Am wondering which scripts we are referring to? perhaps the original OSS extension had some optimizations you'd like to keep ?

I don't recall exactly which ones, but soundon at least. Parts not applicable to TC were removed, speeding up and simplifying the sound enabling; and support for using 64-bit modules with 32-bit userspace was added.

The OSS team put aside the modules listed in above post, considering neomagic was a common audio chip back in the day (15 years ago), takes only a few minutes to run the build script another time.  Probably no one has any of these chips?  Was just a thought.

They weren't enabled in the TC 4 OSS builds, as some of them didn't build. Given how little complaints there were (2-3 during the TC 4 lifetime), I don't think anyone would use those.

curaga,  you'll be pleased to hear your original OSS.tcz loads and osstest plays without error additionally is considerably more compact than the latest version.  Looks like it can be copied as is to the tc-5 repo, will work some more on the modules (particularly 64bit versions)

Thanks for testing. Good that my assumptions held ;)

I'll wait for the modules to be submitted before copying the main extension over. You can submit the 32-bit modules before you get to the 64-bit ones, they don't need to be in lockstep.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
It took a couple hours to create and test the build script, but just a couple of minutes to build and test the set of 32bit modules.  All 32bit modules and build script submitted middle of last week so I believe they should be showing up any time.

On the other hand, the 64bit modules are somewhat of a challenge.
 I've created portable 64bit modules which emerge in x86_64 ELF format but fail as far as versionmagic is concerned which is odd since i assumed was the meaning of portable?     
Portable is the only configure option available with the package.   
Next, I'm thinking of separating the modules from the build package then create my own configure and make scripts.
still have a few more tricks to try though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:13 AM »
OSS extension copied to tc-5.x repo