dCore Import Debian Packages to Mountable SCE extensions > dCore X86

Feature Request: configurable debian mirror

(1/2) > >>

cpoakes:
I am just getting started playing with dCore 5.0rc1, and am amazed at what I have been able to accomplish in a few hours. Looking forward to creating small custom Debian images for recycled Thin Clients.

As a regular Deb-a-holic, I have a squid proxy set up for storing debian packages on my NAS and I regularly use debian.osuosl.org.  I want to be able to configure to this Debian mirror, not ftp.us.debian.org.  I have already created a startup script to have sed apply changes to /usr/bin/getDebEnv.  (deb2sce always calls debGetEnv which always uses hard-wired mirror).  It would sure be nice if this could be configurable, i.e. respect the existing /tmp/debmirror.  I am sure there are plenty of other reasons to customize the mirror too...

Also, I expect to build and rebuild SCE files adding more deb packages to consolidate and reduce any redundancies.  Said proxy makes repeating the process faster, but is there a way to preserve the debs on my hard drive until I decide they are no longer needed?

Thanks for the project

Jason W:
As for the consolidating sce's to eliminate redundancy, use the "import -f" option which will ensure no redudancies.   Just create a file with a list of desired packages, and the packages in the list along with any needed dependencies will made into one large sce with no duplications.

We will look into the subject of being able to choose a Debian mirror.

cpoakes:
Thanks for the quick response. 

For the mirror, perhaps as /etc/sysconfig/debmirror?  Set to ftp.us.debian.org in the initramfs, but can be altered by the user and managed with filetools?  I realise debGetEnv is making a selection based on architecture, but since the initramfs IS architecure dependent, a fixed value should not be problematic.

Regarding the creation of mega and non-redundant SCEs, I am using "import -f".  It appears to download the DEB packages associated with the SCEs all over again and  not utilize the contents of the SCEs.  Though my proxy speeds things up, I would rather have the option to keep the DEBS around if import is not going to use the contents of the SCEs to build the mega-SCE.  While it would not be a good "default" behaviour to leave DEBs cluttering the filesystem, an option to do so would save time for build/test/modify/build/... iterations.

Cheers.

Jason W:
Ok, I see what you mean.  I am looking at the option to use another Debian mirror, /opt/debmirror would make sense alongside /opt/tcemirror.  I will also look into the option of keeping debs and data tarballs, checking their md5sum against the Debian package list or our hosted md5sum files and downloading only if they have been updated upstream. 

Jason W:
/opt/debmirror as a file that contains preferred Debian mirror has been discussed and accepted by the team.  Will be added to Git and part of RC2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version