WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: getFlash 11 -- Need an idiot's how-to  (Read 2522 times)

Offline patanderson1990

getFlash 11 -- Need an idiot's how-to
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Tiny Core and I'm trying to figure out how to make flash work on TC 4.7.7

I got it to work on my initial install of TC, but then I deleted a few tce's (including firefox). This caused flash to stop working. I tried to start again with a fresh install, but I can't seem to get flash to work, regardless of the instructions that I follow in all the tutorials I find online.

I have noticed that a lot of the tutorials seem dated and geared towards prior versions of Tiny Core.

If someone could provide me with an up-to-date "how to" to install flash, I would deeply appreciate it and I'm sure a lot of newbies would also find it usefull.

Thanks!

Offline Misalf

Re: getFlash 11 -- Need an idiot's how-to
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
I'm a noob myself but that one was super simple for me on TC (+ Firefox)..

Just open appbrowser and search for getFlash (currently getFlash11.tcz).

Launch getFlash11 and it will then download the actual flash player from adobe and it will create a fresh flash11.tcz that you can load whenever you need flash (needs restarting your browser).
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline patanderson1990

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

I've tried that method, and even though when I look for plugins in both Chromium and Firefox, I see Flash installed, i can't play any youtube videos or anything like that. also, when I go on a site with any Flash content (ads, etc), my CPU usage goes from like 8% to around 50%.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
No idea, sorry. Exept, maybe try different Xorg & graphics driver / Xvesa.

I just booted with xvesa and flash still works pretty good.
BTW, my CPU usage is at 1~2% when a site is completely loaded.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

I've tried that method, and even though when I look for plugins in both Chromium and Firefox, I see Flash installed, i can't play any youtube videos or anything like that. also, when I go on a site with any Flash content (ads, etc), my CPU usage goes from like 8% to around 50%.

Do you imply that some flash content like ads is correctl displayed?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline ljk

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
Hello patanderson1990:

You may want to make sure that openssl-1.0.0.tcz is loaded.  flash.tcz and firefox.tcz require curl.tcz.  curl.tcz requires libssl.so.1.0.0 which is in openssl-1.0.0.tcz.  At present the curl.tcz dependencies don't list anything that provides libssl.so.1.0.0.  So, openssl-1.0.0.tcz  has to be loaded manually or in "on boot", etc.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15553.msg90518.html#msg90518 discusses this problem with curl.tcz.  The final post by Rich explains the details.