WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] importsce - messages 'can't create symlink - operation not permitted'  (Read 9395 times)

Offline junit

Firstly, microcore on the A10 is >very< impressed. many thanks to the entire team/community.

OK, maybe a TC-newb question... help required, and hopefully it helps someone else.

I've installed TC CLI to an A10-marsboard via the handy mkSDCard.sh script. Note: I have just extended the single partition created in the script, to get things 'going', so am unsure if this problem relates to that move.

When it comes to importsce all of my builds/installs seem to contain messages such as:

Example:
importsce dropbear
Merging dropbear:
tar: can't create symlink from etc/init.d/dropbear to /usr/local/etc/init.d/dropbear; Operation not permitted
tar: can't create symlink from usr/bin/dbclient to ../sbin/dropbearmulti: Operation not permitted
... and so on.

For the most part these symlink messages that occur on all importsce calls have not affected my successful use of importsce to mount nano, alsa-utils, build-essential etc

However, since dropbear uses symlinks to call generate RSA keys etc, by calling the dropbearmulti i'm a little stuck when it comes time to run dropbear.

Example:
/usr/local/etc/init.d/dropbear start
Generating Dropbear rsa key...
/usr/local/etc/init.d/dropbear: line62: dropbearkey: not found
... and so on

So i cannot use dropbear.

Any ideas?

1) What is causing the symlink messages on all importsce, are any other users experiencing this?

2) Curiously, why does init.d/dropbear run from the /usr/local/etc/init.d/dropbear and not the usual /etc/init.d/dropbear

Many thanks in advance

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:19:19 AM by junit »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: importsce - messages 'can't create symlink - operation not permitted'
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
Blind guess, perhaps you are using a filesystem which is not POSIX compliant (e.g. msdos/vfat), while such might be required?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline junit

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »
hmmm I can create symlinks manually.

To be clear:
1) I  installed TC-GUI onto an x86 via the CD
2) from (1) I used mkSDCard.sh to download and build the SD Card (as per tinycorelinux.net/5.x/armv7/Allwinner-A10/README-1st.txt)
3) I inserted the SD card into the marsboard, booted successfully to CLI, and proceeded to use importsce

These importsce "symlink" messages are not fatal, as i can use debian packages such as nano etc with no problem... but the use of symlinks does break dropbear which relies on symlinks to use the dropbearmulti executable

Has anyone else used the marsboard? could you try a fresh mkSDcard, and let me know if the same importsce messages appear?

Got the strange feeling, it's something small and simple staring me in the face... as usual. Possibly something to do with where init.d is placed? hmm

edit: typoe
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:17:15 PM by junit »

Offline junit

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »
For what it's worth, i was able to manually add some symlinks to link dropbearkey to the executable.

When i run: sudo dropbear start       ...for the first time, the RSA keys seem to successfully generate and write to the /etc/dropbear folder

However, it appears that dropbear does not start at all.

sudo /etc/init.d/dropbear start
Starting SSH server: Dropbear....

Usage: /etc/init.d/dropbear start

sudo /etc/init.d/dropbear status
Dropbear is not running.

all is not well...  :(

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
hmmm I can create symlinks manually.

Is that referring to your running system or your mounted storage filesystem (latter being of relevance)?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
mkSDcard script tests fine. Just created a new sdcard for marsboard, booted and imported dropbear with no errors.
Please be sure that the partition used for extensions is a regular Linux partition as noted in the README.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline junit

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »
Thankyou kindly tinypoodle and robert

Solved.

For the sake of paper trail, the problem was i was using the primary partition 1 as the sce dir, as i just enlarged this. To avoid this, follow the guide and create new partitions with fdisk.... and wala.... may google forever index my ignorance on this one.

thanks again.  :)