WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Has anybody succeeded in getting an MN-720/30 wireless card working?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline momac

I really like the idea of this distro. In fact, I have been waiting for this since shortly after I started using da*nsmall about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, TC use is limited without a network connection.

I have an MN-720 wireless card that I can't seem to get to cooperate. I have spent several hours over about 5 days trying to get this card to connect.  I have tried both ndiswrapper modules with the mn720-ankh.inf driver which has worked for me in the past with DSL and Ubuntu. I am now curious if anybody has gotten this card to work with TC and the current extensions.

TIA
Mike
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:02:30 PM by momac »

Offline momac

::) Ouch.... 6 days on an entry error. I can't say I haven't done this before but I always kick myself for posting questions when I should have found my own mistake long beforehand.

Seems I have gotten into the habit of entering encryption keys with colons as byte separators. As in iwconfig wlan0 essid "blah" key A0:A1:A2:A3:A4

The mistake is obviously the inclusion of the colons.

:-\

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
not so obvious to me.......I thought colons were included. I could have sworn I've used them in the past.  I have an 80211B with WEB, but it doesn't connect either way with tc....my 80211A works fine.   

Offline momac

not so obvious to me.......I thought colons were included. I could have sworn I've used them in the past.  I have an 80211B with WEB, but it doesn't connect either way with tc....my 80211A works fine.   

Hmmm... that is interesting. I know the colons were keeping me from correctly setting up my wireless nic because I used it w/ TC much of the day yesterday. I even remastered with the wireless extensions and rebooted a few times trying to get it the way I wanted.

A last note for others using the MN-720/30. In the end I did not need ndiswrapper. I remastered to include the wireless extensions, and copied the b43legacy drivers to /lib/firmware/b43legacy.  The radio is now detected on boot. I must then load the wireless modules and enter the following in ATERM:

1.   iwconfig (this is optional - I only do this to confirm the detection of wlan0)
2.   sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid (your_ssid_here) key (0123456789)

last line without the parens of course.

and lastly... I issue the command:

3.   udhcpc -b -i wlan0

Mike
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:03:33 PM by momac »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
WEB hex with colons works for DSL, but that's not using dhcp.  On tc,, I  did get finally get a connection with tc without the colons, so maybe you're on to something.  It struggled either way...so it might have been just luck, I don't know.  It's clear it works without them, however.