WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] ezremaster TC 4.7.7 remaster kernal panic  (Read 10966 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: ezremaster TC 4.7.7 remaster kernal panic
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
I hope you try "app_inside_initrd_onboot"  I use this method to add extensions and make a ezremaster ISO each day without issue.

Also don't forget to add your backup "mydata.mtz" file so as to add your home directory files.  (if I understand your problem) 

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
OK, now for my next question.  When I booted the remastered CD I noticed that some things were included and some were not.  On the source machine I was using home=sda1 and opt=sda1.  I removed home and opt from .filetool.lst and added root.  I did not include home=sda1 or opt=sda1 in the remaster.

On booting the remastered CD I found that the files in root were restored but that home and opt were not.  Iam surmizing that ezremaster does not include /home or /opt uless they are included in .filetool.lst?

I'd regard /home & /opt being scatter mounted vs. being included in a remaster as mutually exclusive, regardless of use of ezremaster.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gmc

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 09:10:41 PM »
I hope you try "app_inside_initrd_onboot"  I use this method to add extensions and make a ezremaster ISO each day without issue.

Also don't forget to add your backup "mydata.mtz" file so as to add your home directory files.  (if I understand your problem)

Thanks - I will continue to use the 'app inside' method.  As for the home and opt directories, it is almost certainly related to them being , as tinypoodle noted, "scatter mounted".  I suppose that I'll have to set up the machine in the more traditional backup scheme if I want them included in the remaster.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Offline gmc

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »

I'd regard /home & /opt being scatter mounted vs. being included in a remaster as mutually exclusive, regardless of use of ezremaster.
I probably would too if I knew as much as you.  "Scatter mounted".  The phrase made me smile.

In any case, I will revert back to a more vanilla setup and have /home and /opt backed up the traditional way.  Then they will be included in the remaster.

Thanks for the thoughts...

Offline ixbrian

• Retired Admins
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
If you select a mydata.tgz during the ezremaster wizard the contents of your mydata.tgz backup will be extracted into the remaster.    The only things included in your mydata.tgz are what is in the .filetool.lst.    If you are using persistent home/opt these will not be included.   However - you can manually copy them in yourself in the last step of ezremaster before the ISO is created.   You can really customize or do anything you want with the remaster at that point. 

Regarding your question about "onboot" extensions in ezremaster:  If you add them "onboot" ezremaster just adds them to the onboot.lst file so that they are loaded automatically.   Please check the extensions that you didn't add onboot - you should find that they are not listed in the onboot.lst file. 

Regarding the confusion about the different options to add extensions:  ezremaster supports lots of different options - some of them work better than others depending on your machine and what you are trying to do.   The "extract to initrd" is unique to ezremaster and doesn't work with all extensions. 

As always, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve ezremaster or make it easier to understand please let me know.

thanks,
Brian

Offline gmc

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »
...If you are using persistent home/opt these will not be included.   However - you can manually copy them in yourself in the last step of ezremaster before the ISO is created.   You can really customize or do anything you want with the remaster at that point...
Thanks for the explanations, they help.  I would like to know how to add /opt and /home from persistant storage.  Is there a link to those instructions or can you offer some guidance?

Thanks much.

Glen

Offline ixbrian

• Retired Admins
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 01:00:35 AM »
On the "Remaster Step #2" screen, click the blue link for the "initrd filesystem Directory".   This will open a terminal.   Make a note of the directory it put you in (will be something like /tmp/ezremaster/extract).  Type "sudo su", and then "cd" back to the temp initrd directory (i.e. cd /tmp/ezremaster/extract).   From here you can do something like "cp -rp /home  ."  to copy your /home directory in to your temp initrd directory.   This directory will end up being the root filesystem for your remaster, so you can make any changes you want or copy any other files in to it. 

Once you have customized this kind of stuff, go back to the ezremaster window and click "Create ISO"

Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

take care,
Brian

Offline gmc

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
On the "Remaster Step #2" screen, click the blue link for the "initrd filesystem Directory".   This will open a terminal.   Make a note of the directory it put you in (will be something like /tmp/ezremaster/extract).  Type "sudo su", and then "cd" back to the temp initrd directory (i.e. cd /tmp/ezremaster/extract).   From here you can do something like "cp -rp /home  ."  to copy your /home directory in to your temp initrd directory.   This directory will end up being the root filesystem for your remaster, so you can make any changes you want or copy any other files in to it. 

Once you have customized this kind of stuff, go back to the ezremaster window and click "Create ISO"

Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

take care,
Brian
Thanks Brian - this is exactly what I needed to get started.  I am so looking forward to this...

Have a geat day!
Glen