WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How can I connect with/configure wifi not broadcasting its name?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Nibdar

Sorry. I'm starting my adventure with Linux from TC and have no idea how to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: How can I connect with/configure wifi not broadcasting its name?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »
If you already happen to know the exact spelling you can use:
Code: [Select]
sudo iwconfig <interface> essid <ESSID>
With wpa_supplicant you would have to include following options in your configuration file:
Code: [Select]
network={
                    ssid="ESSID"
                    scan_ssid=1
}

If not, you may have to run a monitoring app like kismet or airmon-ng for a while to get the exact essid.

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline genec

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »
The eSSID non-broadcast config is actually against the 802.11 spec (yet many manufacturers use it).  The best I recall is that one manufacturer early on did this "in the name of security" when in reality it's just obscurity.  Some devices (like an Apple iPad) refuse to remember non-broadcasting eSSIDs, forcing you to type it every time.  Broadcast is just the easiest of 5 methods by which to find an eSSID.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »
I can only fully agree with everything stated, in case my post gave unintentionally a wrong impression.
Of course the preferable and proper thing would be to talk sense into the netadmin, but I think it can't harm to have a technical workaround in cases when standards are not adhered to in the wild .
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:36:02 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
I regularly connect to an ap that does not broadcast the ssid.

The main issue is probably that wifi.sh will not connect (in my case at least) - even if I save the correct details in wifi.db. Connecting from a saved wpa_supplicant configuration like that above works fine.

Various iphones, ipads, etc, all remember the details after the initial entry and connect automatically thereafter.

Offline genec

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
Various iphones, ipads, etc, all remember the details after the initial entry and connect automatically thereafter.
Perhaps a newer Apple iOS version has allowed this.