Author Topic: How to find out which extensions have been loaded?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline deetee

How to find out which extensions have been loaded?
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »
Hi all!

Despite of booting 'core' only - I got (while booting) the message 'Loading extensions...' (with rotating cursor) for more than 1 second.

How can I find out which extensions TC has loaded?

The 'Loading extensions...' message seems to be normal (maybe TC seeks possible tcz's) and my laptop is a an older one.
I'm booting from harddisk with boot options 'home=sda1 text base norestore' and load some extensions on demand per hand/command from the persistent home directory.

TIA deetee

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: How to find out which extensions have been loaded?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
Use boot code

showapps pause
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »
Hi deetee
You can also see which extensions are loaded by doing:
Code: [Select]
ls /tmp/tcloop

Offline deetee

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
Thanks for all the good hints.

'ls /tmp/tcloop' shows nothing - which means that no regular tcz was loaded. Despite I saw the rotating cursor while booting.

The boot option 'showapps' doesn't show any extensions or applications (Should there be a list displayed?)

But the boot option 'showapps' prevents (at least) the rotating cursor and it seems that TC boots faster now.  :)
It seems that my problem was solved with 'showapps', but actually 'showapps' doesn't really suggest 'prevent loading extensions' or at least 'don't show the rotating cursor'.

After some boot option tests I use as less options as necessary now to boot fast: home=sda1 quiet vga=773 showapps

As you read between the lines - I'm not perfectly satisfied - maybe there is another/better boot option which serves my purpose better?

deetee

aus9

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
if you click into the control panel, then click on boot pls copy and paste all you see there.

2) I have a snazzier desktop which needs extensions to load etc, but
I guess you know the significance of your  vga=773 setting
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html#bootcodes

3) If you want to go quicker, try no  boot . Some people here, not me, suspend or hibernate

Offline deetee

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:11:10 AM »
Hello aus9!

Thanks for your further thoughts.

I am currently (still) using the core of TC only (vmlinuz and core.gz) and load locally stored tcz's on demand by hand.
As I am a 'console fan' vga=773 (8-bit colors with 1024x768) seems to be enough - but thanks for the hint.

I am very interested in 'fast booting' to get a fast TC with less use of resources. As TC still boots incredible fast (9.5s even on my old laptop) suspend or hibernate is not really a topic. But what did you mean exactly with 'noboot'?

deetee

aus9

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:27 AM »
no boot means hibernate or suspend....no booting allowed. I should not make up terms.

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 04:30:08 AM »
tce-status -i # installed ;;
or

ls /usr/local/tce.installed/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:40:11 AM by dubcore »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »
and load some extensions on demand per hand/command from the persistent home directory.

Such is non-standard and therefore unpredicted consequences could not be excluded.
You might want to try to move the extensions out of persistent home.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:20:36 AM »
Hi deetee
Did you remember to remove all references to home in your  /opt/.filetool.lst  file?

Offline deetee

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »
Sorry for experimenting with the 'raw' core system and doing 'non-standard' things. I'm having 'mental problems' to load automatically extensions I don't need (i.e. why load firefox when I only want to do some console stuff). I would like to install extensions when I need them. Maybe that's - in my opinion - the only lack of this fantastic Linux.

As I'm not familiar with /opt/.filetool.lst but my .filetool.lst shows two lines (opt and home). What does this mean?

Sorry for my unstructured mail - but I'm writing this on my phone and tested TC via USB-key on my wife's PC.

deetee

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
Sorry for experimenting with the 'raw' core system and doing 'non-standard' things. I'm having 'mental problems' to load automatically extensions I don't need (i.e. why load firefox when I only want to do some console stuff). I would like to install extensions when I need them. Maybe that's - in my opinion - the only lack of this fantastic Linux.

That's achieved with a /tce dir, with an empty onboot.lst or with boot code "base" and a /tce dir with a non-empty onboot.lst.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:22:39 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
What's the output of
readlink /etc/sysconfig/tcedir?

Offline deetee

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:11:16 AM »
readlink /etc/sysconfig/tcedir has no output - the directory /tmp/tce contains an empty directory 'optional' only.

As I said - I'm experimenting: I load TC (vmlinuz, core.gz) with extlinux only. Despite it seems that TC loads some extensions - and I wonder why.
Maybe the message 'Loading extensions...' is on the screen while TC works on the next boot step. Maybe it has something to do with my persistent home directory and some tcz's I loaded before 'by hand' (sorry).
That's my question in this task.

----------
I don' want to be to philosophic - but TC has the most future potential I have ever seen (and I tried many 'linuces' the last 15 years). It has the potential to compete against embedded linuces (I have seen the 'dirty made' linux on my hacked Kindle). In future I see TC not only on a PC (where many linuces are concentrated on - like the excellent debian), but I see TC on a phone (Ubuntu is to bloated for a phone), tablet, refrigerator or even controlling a car. TC is small, stable, completely and efficient coded. The idea of a tiny core system, a kernel (which is flexible build for the used hardware) and extensions which fulfill the purpose of the hardware (what ever this is or may be in the future) is for me a milestone in computer system technology. But that should be another task in another corner of this forum.
To summarize - that's why I would like to spend more of my time to 'play' and maybe improve/expand (do I have the skills to do that?) TC.

deetee

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
If you're after boot time, check the wiki page on bootchart.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.