WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I perform a scatter install? (yes, I know it isn't officially supported)  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Fallingwater

Disclaimer: I've read up on the philosophy behind TC and why a scatter install is discouraged. I understand the official positions and the reasons, but I still need/want to do it, for reasons I'd rather not get into here to avoid a derailment of the thread. Please don't try to convince me to do otherwise; suffice to say I'm quite sure that is in fact what I need/want, and I shall keep both pieces if it breaks.

Anyway: as the installer doesn't have an option for a scatter install I went Googling for a howto, but found none. How, exactly, do I perform this sacrilegous act?

Offline Fallingwater

Ok, after an afternoon's work I finally managed to get TC to boot from the HD. I uncompressed core.gz, then installed extlinux and configured the extlinux.conf file.

Problem is, it now loads and identifies the HD install, but it's only running a very minimal system without any software so I can't startx. The iso contains a "cde/optional" directory full of tcz files; should I copy these somewhere in the filesystem on the HD? If so, where?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:03:40 PM by Fallingwater »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Copy cde directory to the root of HD and rename it to tce
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tinypoodle

If you really want a full scatter install, you would unsquash all extensions over /.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
If you really want a full scatter install, you would unsquash all extensions over /.

And loose package management.
Béla

Offline tinypoodle

That's implied, as is losing various other management aspects with scatter install (unless suitably modified).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Fallingwater

Copy cde directory to the root of HD and rename it to tce
That worked... once. At the next reboot it stopped opening many applications, reporting an error while loading libfltk.so.1.1... except fltk-1.1.10.tcz was present in /tce/onboot.lst.

I deleted /tce and copied/renamed cde from the CD, and it kept doing it. As I'd customized nothing else yet, rather than keep fighting this problem I just reunpacked core.gz on / from the CD. It again worked once.

Edit: now that I added showapps in extlinux, I see there's a problem in loading the tczs. At a certain point, gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders spits out an error loading libgio-2.0.so.0; the loading process stops, and fltk is never loaded.

I wonder what's doing this? The second time all I did was load it, open terminal and give it a sudo reboot.

Edit: here's a screenshot.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:57:22 PM by Fallingwater »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
What you are doing is against the TC concept is breaking it in whole. Would be better to use as it is adviced at least to learn how it works :(
Béla

Offline tinypoodle

An intermediate approach without easily breaking all the system would be to boot core in a proper fashion and then to chroot to a scatter install.

I've been quite successful in doing so, without attempting to place extensions within the scatter install though.