WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Is VortexMX+ Core friendly?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
[SOLVED] Is VortexMX+ Core friendly?
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
Hello!

I have a machine with the VortexMX+ SoC that is working very well with the Core (4.7) using Xvesa. But, despite what this site ( http://www.compactpc.com.tw/support.aspx?mode=3&id=35 ) says, I can't get Xorg to work good enough to play 720p videos or even 1080p. It is possible with Windows (argh!)... so the machine can handle that!

Anyone can play good quality videos with this device? My Core on it is used just to download content, share it and play videos (not playing very good right now...)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:40:04 PM by Zendrael »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Is VortexMX+ Core friendly?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
I don't have that device, but I haven't heard of any kind of video accel for RDC or XGI chips. That cpu is certainly not enough to play 720p xvid even if it had a good XV driver, which I doubt.

So I think it doesn't have that kind of video accel under any linux.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Zendrael

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
Hum... I understood.

@Curaga, as I'm using it as a media server; eventualy some friends come here to copy stuff... which is the best extension that can provide automount for external hard drives when connecting to this machine?

The entire system runs very well with Openbox, Tint2 and PCManFM - if it had some sort of video accel would be a good HTPC...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
Hi Zendrael
which is the best extension that can provide automount for external hard drives when connecting to this machine?
There is a an icon that looks like a disk drive on the wbar that can be used to mount/unmount drives. I recommend
you use that since auto mounting a drive does not free you of the responsibility of having to unmount it prior to
disconnecting it from your machine. Disconnecting a drive without unmounting it first can result in data corruption
since the drive may still be in the process of writing data.
So much for my lecture. Here is a thread that discusses how to implement auto mounting:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,9622.0.html

Offline Zendrael

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
Hi Rich!

I was not using wbar anymore! I saw the icon and used it a few times under tests, I was just looking for something related to auto mounting devices because there is some people that will use the machine and are not used to click to mount something like a USB pendrive or external harddrive.

I will follow your link! Thanks!

And, I believe that the question started in this thread is done!