WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: using firmware extentions at boot  (Read 2262 times)

Offline ananix

using firmware extentions at boot
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »
Hello i have a broadcom netlink gigabit ethernet adapter.
Its recognized when looking for plug and play devices but it cant load the firmware file as the extention is not loaded yet.
I did a modprobe on bnx2 and it installed the module but i think it still needs the firmware.
Whats really running when TCL says "looking for plug n play hardware" in blue?
If i could just redo that step after my firmware extension gets loaded i think its gonna work out.

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: using firmware extentions at boot
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:29:13 AM »
Hi ananix
Try installing  firmware-bnx2.tcz  OnBoot, restart the machine, and see if it finds it then.

Offline ananix

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
Thats what i did and i can see it provides the .fw file "plug n play" is looking for (written in blue after kernel load) but the files dont exist before it gets to load the extensions later.
Guess i should try and make my firmware file persistent or start to take a look into that copy2fs script, i just havent had this problem before with my wireless even though i should recon it works the same way and now im not at the sever anymore, have to check when i get around it again.
But what invokes the "Looking for Plug n play devices" maybe you can point me to the script and i can look my self.

Thanks anyway Rich :)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
Try using a nodhcp boot code.  The dhcpclient may be triggering a module load before the firmware is installed.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
Plug n play at that point refers to that which is supported in the kernel.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ananix

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:20:07 AM »
making firmware persistent obviously did the trick, i remastered with extracted firmware to initrd.

Thanks for your answers all of you! though i dont really understand how it would effect this problem, but interestingly is "Plug n play at that point refers to that which is supported in the kernel." because why would it need the firmware if its supported by kernel? not trying to say what you say is wrong at all really just trying to understand whats my firmware/driver/hardware/kernel issue is really about :)