WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Ice WM / wireless mouse  (Read 1845 times)

Offline gregg_a_g

Ice WM / wireless mouse
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »

This is kind of a strange situation.  I have been using 4.5.6 with Ice WM and a "wired" Dell mouse.  If I go to "Desktop 2" and then click on the "1" icon on top of the page, the display switches to Desktop 1 (as I expected).

I recently got a MK320 wireless mouse and keyboard and thought I would try it out with 4.5.6.  The behaviour was very odd (or so I thought).  If I navigated to Desktop 2 and then tried to click the "1" icon on top of the page I thought it wasn't working (because the Desktop didn't instantly switch to Desktop 1).  What I soon discovered was that when I used the MK320 mouse and clicked on the "1" icon I was actually seening a "drop down" with all of the various proggies available on Desktop 1.  So in fact, the wireless mouse gave me more options.

Now the question is why the "wired mouse" doesn't behave the same way?

Any ideas?

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Ice WM / wireless mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:37:23 PM »
Have you reconfigured the mouse item with your X server?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Hi gregg_a_g
Whether wireless or wired, USB or PS2, I would not expect a functional change in behavior just because you
changed mice. Do you see this same "drop down" if you click on the desktop?

Offline gregg_a_g

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
Rich -  I do see the same "drop down" if I click on any of the "Wbar" icons, that is, I see the "drop down" menu appear at the top of the screen on the "1" icon (instead of the item on the Wbar).  It's very wierd.  The wired mouse works okay.

New phenomenon - sometimes the "wireless" acts a little more normal and CAN click on the other icons. 

Sometimes I see ^@ when I click on a window with the wireless mouse.

I'm not sure how to "reconfigure" the mouse with the X server, unless you mean to run "xsetup".

BTW, the MK320 works fine with some other Linux distros (like Mint).

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »
"xsetup" would be fine for Xvesa - you didn't mention which X server you run, that's why I was generalizing ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gregg_a_g

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
Hi, TinyPoodle!  I think you may be on to something.  When I ran "ps -e" I noticed that Xvesa was running with "-2button".  I hit ctr-alt-F1 and then killed Xvesa, reran xsetup (with USB IM/PS2 Wheel mouse) and then restarted X.  It seems to be working better now, but not entirely consistently.  I'll experiment some more and let you know what the behaviour looks like!  Thanks very much! :)