WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Let's say I build and burn a custom TC live disk...  (Read 1695 times)

Offline cg

Let's say I build and burn a custom TC live disk...
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
Let's also say that I've got scripts that are included with the custom burn that refer to absolute locations such as /mnt/sda2/foo/bar (among others), and which have been successfully used on a partitioned hard drive.  Here are my questions:  if I run the disk on a computer with an identically-partitioned-but-empty hdd, will the scripts still work?  If not, how can I adjust them so that they will (if I can do so at all)? 

My ultimate goal here is to make, in essence, a stand-alone utility box that can handle unexpected power losses (my current TC installs have about a 1-in3 chance of breaking to the point of being unbootable if their cords are yanked), and this seems like the most efficient way to do that.  If anyone's got an alternate plan, I'm certainly open to hearing it! :)

Thanks in advance, all!

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Let's say I build and burn a custom TC live disk...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:58:21 PM »
Hi cg
Using disk labels sounds like it might be a good way to go for this. On my machine, for example, I currently
have a CD in my drive that has a volume label of MultiCore. Executing the following yields:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ blkid -L MultiCore
/dev/sr1
tc@box:~$ blkid -L MultiCore | cut -c6-
sr1
By using an identical volume name for a partition across multiple machines, you can use that to find the
correct partition regardless of drive number or partition number used. This command will find the
partition whether it is mounted or not.

Offline cg

Re: Let's say I build and burn a custom TC live disk...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it! :)