WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: extension set for demo, my final setup and experience  (Read 1978 times)

Offline clo

extension set for demo, my final setup and experience
« on: July 22, 2012, 04:36:59 AM »
Hello all,

just wanted to share with you my experience about trying out tiny core linux and its extensions.
I never heard about his project before, and I never had any experience with livecd distributions, much less customizing one.

My experience was really great: in one day I had my custom livecd done and running for my demo purposes.
So congrats to the developers and the community. I come from the Slackware / server background.

My requirement was about being able to boot really fast, with no user intervention at all, and automatically start an application (the demo), without having the user touch a single key.

I realized this with minor edits to isolinux.cfg, changing the last part of the .profile of the tc user (in core.gz) to set some environment variables, launch Xorg & and then startfluxbox.
In the fluxbox startup file, I launched my demo application.

The application was GTK based (actually a modified GTK, improved in performance), so I just included my own GTK version.
I built the application on slackware, and could effortlessly include it in tinycore, with just a small modification needed to the libssl.tcz package, where I had to add a symlink libssl.so.0 to point to libssl.so.0.9.8.

All in all, a really great experience, and a very fast and functional result.
I include the full list of extensions I used below.

Thanks all!

C.

Xlibs.tcz
Xorg-7.6-bin.tcz
Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz
Xorg-7.6.tcz
Xorg-fonts.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
Xvesa.tcz
acl.tcz
atk.tcz
attr.tcz