WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to install irmp3 on tinycore?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline thebestofall007

how to install irmp3 on tinycore?
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
hi folks, i am a first time user of tinycore and am slowly getting the hang of how things work and i was wondering how do you install irmp3 (a daemon that allows media players like mplayer to output title/artist info to an lcd display thru lcdproc) in tinycore? i cd to the directory the source files are located, entered ./configure, it compiles fine, and when i get to the make script, it complains with the following error:

mod_lirc.c:26:30: fatal error: lirc/lirc_client.h: no such file or directory

and quits.

i installed the lirc tcz to "on boot" and the compiler for irmp3 still complains. whats going on? that would be nice if a tcz could be made for this software. if i have to set up the lirc first, how do i go about doing that?

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:34:04 PM by thebestofall007 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: how to install irmp3 on tinycore?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:26:37 PM »
It looks like the lirc extension maintainer did not make an lirc-dev extension, which would contain the files you need.

You could pm the maintainer to request lirc-dev or compile the same version of lirc yourself in order to obtain the dev files.

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »
I did a quick comparison between the TC 3.x and 4.x repositories: The former contains '/usr/local/include/lirc/lirc_client.h' (in 'lirc.tcz') whilst the latter has the kernel modules split off (into 'lirc-modules-3.0.3-tinycore.tcz'). Maybe somewhere during this operation was the header file "lost"

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11:18 AM »
I looks like only the header file is missing. The library versions are the same.

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
It is my fault (yes, again...  :-[) I did not realize when I made extension.

@thebestofall007 :
Have you any remote control? If not, you can do ./configure --disable-mod-lirc to not including mod_lirc.

If you want lirc support, you can download lirc-0.9.0.tar.bz2 from http://www.lirc.org/. Into the archive is the header file (/tool/lirc_client.h). Put it under /usr/local/include (Example: /usr/local/include/lirc/lirc_client.h)

I will include it when I recompile for 3.0.21

Sorry if I caused you any trouble.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:40:38 PM by AmatCoder »

Offline thebestofall007

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
It is my fault (yes, again...  :-[) I did not realize when I made extension.

@thebestofall007 :
Have you any remote control? If not, you can do ./configure --disable-mod-lirc to not including mod_lirc.

If you want lirc support, you can download lirc-0.9.0.tar.bz2 from lirc's website. Into the archive is the header file (/tool/lirc_client.h). Put it under /usr/local/include (Example: /usr/local/include/lirc/lirc_client.h)

I will include it when I recompile for 3.0.21

Sorry if I caused you any trouble.

"you" did not cause any trouble for me. it's just code and it's what caused the snafoo (we'll get it right as we learn!!).

i have tried compiling lirc from the tarball and i get:
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh: ./config.sub.
the rest of the requirements like gcc, dialog, mawk, etc. worked well.

i tried configuring irmp3 using ./configure --disable-mod-lirc and it instead gives me:
mod_magic.c:25:19: fatal error: magic.h: no such file or directory

it looks like we may need to have lirc-dev (and perhaps a new irmp3 extension and its irmp3-dev) running next time around so we can have all needed files. thanks a lot for even having the lirc extension available. keep chugging at it; we'll get it. ;D

let me know what comes up. i enjoy learning this stuff A LOT, and learning how to make an OS from the bottom up. i want to use tinycore to make a car stereo headunit that looks stock on the outside, but a carputer on the inside that runs a custom linux OS THAT PLAYS ANY kind of audio file you throw at it. i want it to use lcdproc to drive the display and irmp3 to pipe the title/artist/radio station frequency info from a media player like mplayer-nodeps to a dot matrix lcd, and the HID protocol to run the controls. i want to design my own car stereo headunit because i believe 90% of them look like they were designed by insects from another planet. i want something that looks/feels rock solid stock (no crappy flip screens to mess up or distracting touchscreens, plus sound that blows bose away), but has all the expandability of an aftermarket and then some.

i'm using tinycore because i like that 2-5 second bootup and is cut and dry.  8)

(i had to change your quote a little because it had the external link to lirc and i couldn't post with it in place)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:58:28 PM by thebestofall007 »

Offline maro

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
Could it be another case where a script requires '/bin/bash'? I'm to lazy to download the source and look around, but a simple re-run (after installing the 'bash.tcz' extension) can't do any harm.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »
i tried configuring irmp3 using ./configure --disable-mod-lirc and it instead gives me:

magic.h is found in file-dev

You can look for missing files in other extensions by using the "provides" function in the apps browser

Offline thebestofall007

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »

magic.h is found in file-dev

You can look for missing files in other extensions by using the "provides" function in the apps browser

installed file-dev and that solved that problem. i am able to compile irmp3 with the lirc disabled now. i also was able to compile lcdproc from source also. i'm still not able to compile lirc from source though because of the same "configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh: ./config.sub" error mentioned earlier even after installing bash.tcz as mentioned by maro.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:44:47 PM by thebestofall007 »