WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: oxygen 8 midi keyboard  (Read 2433 times)

Offline aplannan

oxygen 8 midi keyboard
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
hi,

i am trying to get an m-audio oxygen 8 midi controller up and running with alsa and jack in tc. i believe i need to install firmware and add udev rules, but am not sure how to go about this. i did download and compile a midisport-firmware package i found online but it does not seem to be working. thanks in advance for any help

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: oxygen 8 midi keyboard
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
Hi aplannan
If you have not already done so, check the output of dmesg to see if the device was detected and related error messages.
This page may also contain some useful information:     http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2738

Offline aplannan

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thank you for the advice. I do not know much about dmesg. Do you have any idea what I should be looking for, it returns a lot of info.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »
Hi aplannan
Yes, it does generate a lot of output. It might mention Oxygen or MIDI. I think it's a USB device, so I would pay attention
to the USB related lines. Seeing if it's found is a good start. Try this:
Code: [Select]
dmesg | lessYou can use PageUp, PageDow, Home, End, etc. to look through the output. You can search by entering
Code: [Select]
/ searchterm EnterPressing  n  will search for the next occurrence of  searchterm. Searches are case sensitive. To get back to a
command prompt, hit Esc.

Offline aplannan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Thanks Rich for your help. less is great, I didn't know about it. I did get my keyboard running. In /dev/bus/usb/003/ I noticed that when the keyboard was plugged in a new device number would show up. I can run the following command using fxload and the midisport firmware (fyi to anyone trying to do get older m-audio gear up and running in tc ,both fxload and firmware are not in tc apps, but can be downloaded on-line). The following command would load the firmware for the bus/device:

fxload -s MidiSportLoader.ihx -I MidisportKS.ihx -D /dev/bus/usb/003/002

The last two numbers depend on the bus and device number corresponding to the keyboard.

I wrote a dmenu script that loads the keyboard whenever I start Qtractor, works great so far.