WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: low screen resolution  (Read 1617 times)

Offline leo A.W.

low screen resolution
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »
Hi

I recently installed" Tiny core plus" on a "HP E-Pc s10"wich was runnig with windows'98,  installation went fine  but  screen resolution is very low maybe 8 bit or 16, I don't know, the graphic really looks like windows'98.I read a topic speaking about using 915 resolution but I can't find it in Appbrowser,maybe I should  install TC again adding the right screen boot option?,but I don't know wich option to select.Also I don't have network because I'm using a wireless USB NANO ADAPTER 150N    are there any drivers for this adapter? It works with others Linux Distro without adding drivers

Component  E-PC s10:
Processor      Intel Pentium lll 800

Sistem board : 
chipset Intel 810E

Integrated graphics   Intel 810E with direct AGP and Dynamic video memory technology

BIOS : Type  AmiBIOS  Version IN.xx.yy

Thanks for reply!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:57:54 AM by leomon »

Offline maro

Re: low screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Generally speaking to properly identify your devices I'd suggest to execute lspci -nnvv and lsusb -v, but those tools require the installation of the 'pci-utils.tcz' and 'usb-utils.tcz' extensions for them to be run (which could leave you in a catch-22, if the wireless USB adaptor is your only network connection). As those tools should be present on pretty much any other distribution (if they are more "bloated" than Core) I would not see an issue to run said commands using a different Linux (of course provided you've connected the exact same set of devices you plan to use under TC). In any case please attach the output here, if you want us to take a look at it.

Generally speaking you've got at least three principle options for an X server in Core: (1) the default 'Xvesa' which is included in the TinyCore ISO, (2) one using frame buffer via the 'Xfbdev.tcz' extension, and (3) the 'Xorg' one for which the TC 4.x repository offers different versions via the 'Xorg-7.4.tcz', 'Xorg-7.5.tcz',  or 'Xorg-7.6.tcz' extensions.

Now, your easiest option might be to boot TC and just run Xvesa -listmodes. If that output contains an option you like (e.g. '1024x768x16') try to reboot TC again, but this time use the 'xvesa=...' boot code (e.g. 'xvesa=1024x768x16') at the respective prompt.

Likewise, to find you which frame buffer modes might be supported by your hardware you could boot with the 'vga=ask' boot code and follow the respective prompts. Mind you any 'vga=...' boot code has no influence on your 'Xvesa' server, as it still requires the 'Xfbdev.tcz' extension. I personally don't use it, but your situation might be different.

Finally, the more "full blown" Xorg server (which pretty much all the more "bloated cousins" are using) should support pretty much any VGA hardware, albeit for the "price" of all the extensions that need to be downloaded once and installed in such a way that they persist.

Generally speaking, if your WiFi USB adaptor is supported by another Linux distributions the chances are pretty high that also TC will be able to support it. Alternatively to the proper identification process as outlined above you could download the CorePlus ISO and try that instead. It should contain all the extensions (and some more) that one requires to support the various WiFi adaptors.

Offline leo A.W.

Re: low screen resolution
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
thank you very much for your answer!
I'll try to do my best