WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: mount one partition in to one file not directory  (Read 4266 times)

Offline ibug

Re: mount one partition in to one file not directory
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
I don't get why you want to avoid the mount. If you want a disk dump, squashfs has no advantage over gzip, since it's just compressing the single file - "dd if=/dev/sda5 | gzip > /mnt/sda1/dir/sda5" would work better.

So the main question is, do you want a disk dump, or a file dump?

first of all the gzip con not be mounted it need to be fully decompress to read last sector
mkSquashFS can use xz compression and can be mount

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
Hi ibug
OK, I'll try this again. Are you trying to open the drive as though it is one large file so you don't have
to go through directories and open individual files? That can be done without playing all these games.
Since you won't say exactly what you are trying to do or run, I'll give you a simple example that
demonstrates this.
Install   less.tcz   and enter   less /dev/sda5   and if you have enough time you will see that you can
page through the entire drive as though it were one file.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 01:23:26 AM »
I think there must be a communication or language barrier here.. 

if you do not believe TinyCore support SquashFS4 mounting look in:
Whatever gave the idea I did not believe??

ibug has made reference in many posts to sfs files which are commonly understood as Puppy SFS files.   Until ibug explains otherwise how is anyone expected to read his mind?

ibug  a lot of good folks here are more than willing to assist but nobody can read your mind. :)   Please see the view from the other side, It's easy to get frustrated trying to help someone who will not help you to help them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:27:44 AM by coreplayer2 »