WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL and HMRC Basic PAYE Tools  (Read 1603 times)

Offline will from hubjub

TCL and HMRC Basic PAYE Tools
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Hi chaps, my first post here and I'm hoping not to come over as a liability to the forum.

This isn't about some weird BASIC language tool...

I'm considering swapping to Tiny Core. Mostly I work with very standard applications that are listed in the repository, but one (very English program) may make things difficult.

HMRC, the UK equivalent of the IRS, prefers small businesses to submit employee and payroll data via the Internet. To this end they provide a freely downloadable program called the Basic PAYE Tools. This is available for Linux, and I've successfully run it on Fedora and Lubuntu.

According to HMRC, it has just three dependencies: glibc 2.5 (or greater); libgtk2 2.14 (or greater) and the Macromedia Flash plugin (version 9 or higher).

Does anyone have any experience of getting this software to run on TCL?

It's a long shot, but, just in case...

Best, Will

Offline Guy

Re: TCL and HMRC Basic PAYE Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
I am not familiar with that program. However, if you have had it running in Fedora and Lubuntu, it is probably not that difficult to get it running in Tinycore.

The process would be much different though. If you are not familiar with Tinycore, you may not know how to get it working.

Basically, you need to make it into an extension, put it in /tce/optional, and list it in onboot. You also need all of the deps.

An example of making an extension for printer setup is discussed here.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:printer_setup_using_cups

Ignore the bits about setting up the printer, and make an extension for your app using the same method.

See how you go.

You can ask more questions if there are things you don't understand.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline will from hubjub

Re: TCL and HMRC Basic PAYE Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:22:20 AM »
Thanks, Guy! It will be a few weeks before I get to this, but I will post my findings in case anyone else has the same experience as me. Best, W.