General TC > Remasters / Remixes - Unofficial

How to remaster Tiny Core?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rich:
Hi coreplayer2
Actually that is not cheating, and might be a necessity for someone requiring one of the many
drivers included, such as wireless support or firmware.

med458:
Rich: I am wondering, what do you mean firmware, my friend.

tinypoodle:
Some wireless and NIC cards require the installation of firmware before becoming functional.

Rich:
Hi med458
Basically, firmware determines how a piece of hardware will behave and resides in memory provided by that
hardware, not in the memory that your programs run in. It can consist of data and/or executable code. Historically,
firmware was permanently programmed into hardware before it was shipped. Nowadays, hardware is capable of
being reprogrammed after it's been shipped to fix bugs and provide new features or enhancements. If you have
ever "flashed"  your motherboard or video board, you have changed its firmware. A piece of hardware can also
request firmware in the form of a file during boot time, and that is what is being referred to here, usually involving
a network card.

med458:

--- Quote from: Rich on January 21, 2013, 06:44:50 AM ---Hi med458
Basically, firmware determines how a piece of hardware will behave and resides in memory provided by that
hardware, not in the memory that your programs run in. It can consist of data and/or executable code. Historically,
firmware was permanently programmed into hardware before it was shipped. Nowadays, hardware is capable of
being reprogrammed after it's been shipped to fix bugs and provide new features or enhancements. If you have
ever "flashed"  your motherboard or video board, you have changed its firmware. A piece of hardware can also
request firmware in the form of a file during boot time, and that is what is being referred to here, usually involving
a network card.

--- End quote ---

This was very helpful to me, my friend.  I have had questions about this and now I know the answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version