WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Which ISO to use  (Read 2694 times)

nomer

Which ISO to use
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
Hi there,

I'm quite new to Tiny Core Linux. I've only run it a few times and it has been a while. I never did get it working on USB.

I've now purchased some CD to run LiveCDs on and I'd like to give Tiny Core another try. I want to use the latest version.

The  question is what is the difference between the tinycore and multicore iso? I want to be able to run it from USB (since that should have a shorter boot time?) after burning a cd and booting it.
If I can turn TCL into a system that I really like, I'll consider moving it to a frugal hard drive install.

The main reason for my trying TCL when I have a system that is running Puppy Linux is to mess around with a live Linux/GNU system that has support for multiple users.

Thanks for your time,
Nomer
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:04:15 PM by nomer »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Which ISO to use
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
Welcome to the core.
Please spend some time in the wiki.
microcore ( core ) is a command line linux.
tinycore is core + X and a window manager.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
Hi nomer
Multicore contains both Tinycore and Microcore. In addition, it contains a lot of wireless driver
support. Multicore is intended to be an installation tool.

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
FWIW, I was able to install to USB (ext2) after booting the TinyCore ISO from CD, then downloading the tc-install extension with the AppBrowser. The box I'm using is fairly new and I have a wired internet connection. An older box may not support USB booting (you can still boot from CD and put extensions on USB though). If you only have wireless internet you'll need what Rich says (I've never tried Multicore). Describe what your setup is; there's probably someone here who's got something similar and can help.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:50:51 PM by thane »

nomer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »
I just thought that I should let you know what I went with.
I downloaded the TinyCore iso and burned it to a cd. (RW)
I'm booting using that disk and saving my extentions and data to the usb stick. I'll get around to booting using only the usb stick later.
I do have a little problem.
I have a wired ethernet connection. If I shut down puppy and start up in tinycore, I can't connect to the network. I can't even ping my router. The solution to this is to restart the router. The connection still works after a reboot. (or shutdown and restart soon after that.)

I'm enjoying tinycore quit a bit and am looking forward to putting together a system usable on a day to day basis.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
Hi nomer
That is a very good way to start out while learning about Tinycore. I still run two of my machines
in that mode.

Offline breakstuff

• my weblog
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:36:53 AM »
On the networking issue: Is TinyCore able to obtain a DHCP lease before you restart the router?