WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL crashes after mounting CIFS share  (Read 14413 times)

Offline nim108

Re: TCL crashes after mounting CIFS share
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
With the release of Core 4.2 which adds a lot of new features (the biggest being modularity), I figured I'd take another shot at this. I recompiled the latest 3.0.x kernel, which is 3.0.9 and applied all the TC patches. I also built and copied over all the modules from 3.0.9 that TC 4.2 (kernel 3.0.3) uses. This all boots up just fine. Upon doing this, I realized that cifs is not even a module in the default TC initrd. When I built the 3.0.9 modules, I saw the cifs module in /kernel/fs/cifs but TC does not use it (only modules in /kernel/fs are fat, ntfs, and squashfs). Therefore, is this problem not kernel related but extension? Or am I missing something? Also, with me running 3.0.9, are the 3.0.3 extensions like filesystems-3.0.3-tinycore.tcz compatible? I would assume not.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »
Yes, the existing module extensions are incompatible. You can just copy the cifs module from your build, or alternatively create your own set of extensions (see the sorter script next to the kernel source on the mirror).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nim108

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »
Yes, the existing module extensions are incompatible. You can just copy the cifs module from your build, or alternatively create your own set of extensions (see the sorter script next to the kernel source on the mirror).
Thanks! I was wondering what the sorter.sh script was for, worked great and I got my filesystems-3.0.9-tinycore.tcz and mtd-3.0.9-tinycore.tcz extensions generated. I will test this out at work next week and see if kernel still crashes.

Quick question, with me using a newer kernel, are the lib extensions also incompatible? For example, if I were to use the cifs-utils extension from the 4.x repository, would libcap and libattr still work? Thanks. This has been a fun little side project to diverge to.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Only module extensions are affected (those with a kernel version in the name).

Offline legsak1mbo

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
Thanks! I was wondering what the sorter.sh script was for, worked great and I got my filesystems-3.0.9-tinycore.tcz and mtd-3.0.9-tinycore.tcz extensions generated. I will test this out at work next week and see if kernel still crashes.

Quick question, with me using a newer kernel, are the lib extensions also incompatible? For example, if I were to use the cifs-utils extension from the 4.x repository, would libcap and libattr still work? Thanks. This has been a fun little side project to diverge to.

I think that I'm also experiencing this issue. I'm using MC (now just C?) as a PXE server, once the clients boot they auto-mount a CIFS share and more often than not will kernel panic. I can cause those that don't panic immediately to panic simply by un-mounting the share.

Would you be willing to post the 3.0.9 kernel and extensions so that I can test them?

Offline legsak1mbo

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 07:55:07 AM »
I decided to have a go at compiling the 3.0.9 kernel (initially I tried 3.1.7 but it wouldn't compile and I didn't have time to thoroughly investigate why).

The custom kernel wiki entry seems a little out of date but using it combined with a few forum posts got me a compiled kernel. I then ran the sorter script and got my module extensions. I then extracted the base modules and cpio'd, gzipped and advdef'd (as in the remastering wiki page) the folder structure then added it to the initrd string in the isolinux.cfg (so it now reads "/boot/core.gz, /boot/modules309.gz").

The result - everything worked fantastically and no more kernel panics when working with the CIFS module. I've tested it on about 25 machines and they all seem happy mounting and unmounting shares.

Are there any issues with doing it the way that I have? Shall I post a bug report regarding the CIFS module?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
Are there any issues with doing it the way that I have?

No, your way is fine. That way you can upgrade TC easily.

Shall I post a bug report regarding the CIFS module?

No need.

Offline nim108

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
Oops, forgot to post my results here. legsak1mbo basically said it. 3.0.9 with the 3.0.9 modules works great and resolves the kernel panic issue when mounting CIFS shares. I'm glad I did not try a later kernel like 3.1.7 because that probably would have not worked.