WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to update extensions from TC3 to TC4?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline andrewb

How to update extensions from TC3 to TC4?
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »
Is there a simple way to update extensions when upgrading from TC3 to TC4?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: How to update extensions from TC3 to TC4?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:39:01 AM »
The usual procedure works.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:07:12 AM »
Do you mean that if I copy over my tce directory from my TC3 installation to a separate directory & then use that as my TCE directory for TC4 I can use the  update function in AppsAudit to update the extensions? If so it doesn't seem to be working as it left a lot of the 2.6 kernel versions in place & didn't download the updates (e.g. hwmon, i2c,....).

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
You should be able to use AppsAudit's install missing dependencies feature.
Then you can mark the old 2.6 extensions for deletion.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 03:38:45 AM »
I suppose you first need to update deps -> check missing deps. Old extensions aren't removed automatically, they might be custom ones.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
I suppose you first need to update deps -> check missing deps. Old extensions aren't removed automatically, they might be custom ones.

I have used TC since it's inception, but have struggled with the upgrade to TC4. The transition from TC3 to TC4 is anything but smooth & I have found it frustrating that it is not a simple matter. I am still not confident enough in the installation to allow it loose on my persistent home & opt directories I use for TC3 (i.e. I run it as a completely independent installation with opt & home backed up & restored each time).

Is there any way, other than the name of determining which extensions are only for use with kernel 2.6? If so has anyone a script that will identify such extensions (under TC3 ot TC4) so they can be dealt with appropriately (deleted or updated)?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:20:22 PM »
AppsAudit will tell you which ones are not supported, as you will get an error message saying they are missing in the repo when you get updates.

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »
andrewb

I suggest going with the latest. If you find anything does not work in an older version, I don't think anyone will fix it.

If you want to use a safe method, reinstall all apps.

You can do it in the same partition. Rename the tce directory to something else, and start again with a new tce directory.

I run multiple versions of Tinycore in the same partition. You can go back to an old one if something does not work, which is good for testing release candidates, or experimenting with modifications.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:update

If you have your home and opt backed up, you can't lose data.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »
Is there any way, other than the name of determining which extensions are only for use with kernel 2.6? If so has anyone a script that will identify such extensions (under TC3 ot TC4) so they can be dealt with appropriately (deleted or updated)?

Other than taking up some space, there's no harm in keeping the older module extensions around. With updated dep files, appsaudit will download the newer ones, and no extension will point to the older ones.