Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

A couple of questions about extension building

<< < (3/3)

curaga:
It's pretty widely supported - all autoconf-based ones and most self-written ones (Mplayer comes to mind) should support DESTDIR in the install phase.

mikshaw:
I had wondered what that variable was....so it lets you configure the prefix to a specific directory, yet the files are actually teporarily installed into another directory, so it makes packaging something to install into prefix very easy?

Always learning something new =o)

curaga:
Exactly

mikshaw:
I tried this with Vim yesterday.  Using the compile tcz extension only, I built Vim and installed it into the system as normal to see that the program works, then did "DESTDIR=/path/to/dir make install" to install a second copy to a separate location.  That's sweet.

Jason W:
DESTDIR is supported in over 95% of programs, and virtually all of the newer ones.  On some occasion there are some tweaks that have to be done when using this option, but mostly just in the case of older stuff.  For instance gdk-pixbuf has to also have it's .la files adjusted when using the DESTDIR option as the library path in those files gets set to -L$DESTDIR/usr/local/lib rather than -L/usr/local/lib.  That is not often though, and is pretty much a makefile writing error. 
There are some other ways used to get the same result depending on the makefile, such as "make prefix="pathtodir/usr/local install".  Or "make install INSTALL_ROOT=pathtodir".  Arch and Crux always install to a dedicated directory when making and packaging a program, and their build scripts give some good clues as to what method is to be used.  Same with Slackware. I often look to their methods for building and packaging guidance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version