WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to configure JWM-Snapshot?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline SamK

How to configure JWM-Snapshot?
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »
I usually use TC3.3 but yesterday began to try TC3.7.1.  Installed it to USB flash drive with persistent /home and /opt.  Installed (OnBoot) my preferred WM JWM-Snapshot. 

When used in previous TC installations this has resulted in hidden, editable configuration files being placed in /home/tc.  Now these are links:

ls -1la | grep .jwm
Code: [Select]
lrwxrwxrwx    1      40 Jul 26 08:56 .jwmrc -> /tmp/tcloop/jwm-snapshot/etc/skel/.jwmrc
lrwxrwxrwx    1      45 Jul 26 08:56 .jwmrc-keys -> /tmp/tcloop/jwm-snapshot/etc/skel/.jwmrc-keys
-rw-rw-r--    1     199 Jul 26 08:56 .jwmrc-ondemand
lrwxrwxrwx    1      46 Jul 26 08:56 .jwmrc-theme -> /tmp/tcloop/jwm-snapshot/etc/skel/.jwmrc-theme
lrwxrwxrwx    1      45 Jul 26 08:56 .jwmrc-tray -> /tmp/tcloop/jwm-snapshot/etc/skel/.jwmrc-tray

Has the reason for this change been announced somewhere? I may have missed it and cannot find it.   How does one now configure JWM-Snapshot (and presumably JWM)?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: How to configure JWM-Snapshot?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:34:21 AM »
Just replace links with real files and edit them.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »
Deleting the links in /home/tc, copying them from the non-writable location to /home/tc, then editing them does work after a reboot.

It is a convoluted way to obtain a set of configuration files.

As the WM works perfectly with normal editable files, the need for non-editable links escapes me.  It would seem to be just as easy to produce them in editable form in the user home directory.  In fact one of the files, .jwmrc-ondemand is editable by default while the remaining four are not.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »
Yeah, non-ideal behavior from the extension. It's not been updated in a while, but you could still try to contact the maintainer.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:15:42 AM »
...you could still try to contact the maintainer.
Update request submitted via PM.