WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Driver Request for Edimax EW7811UN Wifi-N  (Read 3682 times)

Offline eljefe

Driver Request for Edimax EW7811UN Wifi-N
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »
I have a Edimax EW7811UN USB wireless adapter.  Drivers are in the Linux kernel as of 2.6.33 I believe, named RTL8192CU, but I cannot find them in TC.

Offline eljefe

Re: Driver Request for Edimax EW7811UN Wifi-N
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
My apologies, these drivers are in the Linux kernel as of 2.6.39, and my device seems to be Edimax EW-7811Un, using the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset, with the driver rtl8192cu.

So, when the kernel upgrade gets to 2.6.39, this driver would be nice :D

Offline maro

Re: Driver Request for Edimax EW7811UN Wifi-N
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
As you can read in this thread the other "siblings" from the RTL8192 "family" (i.e. E, SU, and U) were in the staging driver section of the kernel sources for TC 3.x (i.e. 2.6.33.3) and hence were not included in the build of TC 3.x (as staging drivers are seen as unstable).

Judging from the driver downloads page Linux support for your model might only be available since kernel version 2.6.38. So for TC 3.x your best chance it probably to use the 'ndiswrapper.tcz' extension (and the Windows driver for your device). Multiple threads in this forum here about said extension should guide you (if you don't know already how to use it).

Looking forward to TC 4.x (and after taking a quick look into the most recent kernel sources) I have reason to believe that your model might be supported right out of the box in the future. And before you ask, there is not yet any ETA for when TC 4.x will be available, but it's probably more a question of a few months than a few weeks, so either be prepared to wait or try 'ndiswrapper'.

EDIT: Blast, I only now saw that you figured that out yourself.