WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing Tinycore to a USB flash drive  (Read 5036 times)

Offline jag

Installing Tinycore to a USB flash drive
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:19:18 AM »
I want to install Tinycore (TC) to a 1GB USB Flash drive.
I have read around the TC website for  directions but I cant figure it. Can someone give basic instructions on how to install TC to USB.
I want files and settings saved on multiple reboots.

(I DON'T have optical disc drive)

Offline Guy

Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline jag

Re: Installing Tinycore to a USB flash drive
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »
on the bottom of webpage http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb it says "To install from a Hard Drive or USB drive, copy install.gz to the tce directory (not /tce/optional) of the Hard Drive or USB drive.". i dont understand what this means. ???
where do i find this install.gz? do i look for it before booting the tinycore Unetbootin USB or while its running. please help.

also why do i need to have a multicore iso to install tinycore? can i just use a tinycore iso to install tinycore on a USB? whats the major difference between these 2 versions please

i only know linux little. i like using tinycore.

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »
The multicore iso contains install.gz, and using it is the easiest method.

If you use the tinycore iso, you need to download install.gz separately. If using this method, after downloading install.gz, copy it to the tce directory, which you may find in /mnt/sda1/tce (or in a partition other than sda1). Restart the computer for it to be loaded.

If you don't put it in the tce directory, install.gz can be loaded from any directory by opening the Control Panel, then clicking Load Starter Pack.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline blmvxer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
What I did was, I booted TC up via Virtualbox, and installed it on the USB through it.