WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Very nice work  (Read 15040 times)

Offline SaidinUnleashed

Very nice work
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »
I remember you talking about doing this a long time ago, roberts. Nice to see it tome to life. I'll have to remember to play with it after finals are over.

Any chance we could get a list of the included modules, or, even easier, the kernel .config, so I can see if my hardware is supported. If it's not, I'll just drop in one of my (incredibly tiny and optimized for my CPU) kernels.

Thanks.

--J.P.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
Re: Very nice work
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
See tinycorelinux.com/files/release/src/config-2.6.26-tinycore

Offline SaidinUnleashed

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Excellent. Will examine it after finals are over.

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
yes,very kewl. just the thing that life is made of.  simplicity iin complexity and complexity in simplicity. there is a definition I heard many years ago.  Complex means that the components are so complex that it it makes it easy for the operator.  Complicated meas just that,  complicated for the operator.

ttyl..
jus li'l ol' me
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »
You're forcing me to learn "real" programming with the C++ version of FLTK ...or at least to suffer to confines of fluid.

I just downloaded tiny core and haven't booted yet, so I can't comment yet, but I'd still like to thank you for doing something I'd dreamed of for the last couple of years.

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:59 PM »
@SaidinUnleashed,  I nice to "see" you once again!
Hoping we can all have fun with a tiny core to do with as we please.
Just ask to share, learn and grow.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
You're forcing me to learn "real" programming with the C++ version of FLTK ...or at least to suffer to confines of fluid.

I just downloaded tiny core and haven't booted yet, so I can't comment yet, but I'd still like to thank you for doing something I'd dreamed of for the last couple of years.

Hi Mikshaw,

Yes it is true. No lua here. But I only used Fltk/Fluid and the toolchain here. My preferred mode is PPR/TCZ
For an old guy, I really did have fun to convert to Fluid/C++ for all the GUI tools.
With the right compiler options and using shared libraries, you can really get C++/Fltk down to small size. I actually feel, I have more control over the GUI using Fltk/Fluid, plus no restrictions. All the Fluid project files are available for download.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline sankarv

• Ya its me!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:05:55 AM »
Hi nice to join here. good to see some dsl experts here.

interestingly this is the 2.6 series kernel's smallest distro i suppose.

ofcourse good to see numerous extensions out there too.

more modules such as office, etc could be added in the repo with time.

the forum theme seems cool.

also just to say while registering the forum its better to send a confirmation mail from where activation of user could be done to avoid mock registrations. hope im correct.

looking for the stable release sooner.

and thanks a lot rebert and team for this new initiative. ;D
Thanks,
Sankar.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:11:08 AM »
more modules such as office, etc could be added in the repo with time.
...great - extensions volunteers already  :)

Offline Onyarian

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »
Great job!

I run Tiny Core in Virtualbox and download emelfm, all very quickly and clean.
coming more test soon.

Nice to see you all again!

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »
Very impressive. Everything I have tried so far works like a charm.  Congrats and a big THANKS to Roberts and team!!  :D ;D :D

Offline sankarv

• Ya its me!!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 04:05:02 AM »
ofcourse and surprisingly the 10 MB core itself has most of the needed cli tools in unix (with beautiful package manager for tce/tcz and xwindows/jwm also), its jus amazing. i think almost its an new era of linux transformation.....

once again many thanks hope this transformation grows like an exponential curve :)
Thanks,
Sankar.

Offline florian

• Home Page
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
Congrats to Robert and all Teamates involved.
Fantastic job for this first release! :D

Finally installed it on my computer. I am writing this from Tinycore with Opera. It booted really fast and I am now playing with the app browser and some existing TCZ packages, installing GTK, and few apps, etc. It feels like Christmas and I have got a new toy!

Cheers to all

Offline kuky

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:09:44 AM »
I begin to dowload tcl.... and its necessary to work in Image and communication of TCL ? because st google said that TCL is "Tool Command Language" and is difficult to go to tiny Core Linux...

thanks
beers to all

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
Tiny Core is abbreviated "tc" instead of "tcl".  My own opinion is to absolutely NOT encourage the use of "tcl"  for Tiny Core, which would help to prevent problems for the real Tcl as well.
As far as I know, all currently available information about tc is found right here....it's a spankin' new project.  There should be no need to google at this point.

EDIT: on the subject of google...i guess you probably mean typing "tcl" in the address bar of your browser, so you an ignore that last sentence.
Yeah, Tool Command Language is a very popular and respectable project, so it's likely always going to be the "tcl" that browsers use.
The first thing I did when bookmarking tinycorelinux.com in Firefox was to add the keyword "tc" to the bookmark properties, so I just type "tc" to come here.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:27:37 AM by mikshaw »