WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: movie and streaming video file player?  (Read 10781 times)

Offline thane

Re: movie and streaming video file player?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »
Thanks pugliese. Looks to me like an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it deal.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
The workaround for -nodeps (enable regular subtitles) is mentioned in the original smplayer info file from Jan 2010 ;)

yes it does but still the error persists and will not run as a result, so far on three new tc installs.

Code: [Select]
mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo xv, -ao alsa, -nokeepaspect -framedrop -nodr -double -input conf=/usr/local/share
/smplayer/input.conf -stop-xscreensaver -wid 14680399 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -fontconfig -font Sans Serif -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -dvd-device /dev/dvd
-dvdangle 1 -nocache -osdlevel  -vf-add screenshot -slices -channels 2 -af equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max 110 dvd://1

MPlayer was compiled without fontconfig support.
MPlayer SVN-r30660-snapshot (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
ID_EXIT=NONE

Is there a real fix for this which I missed ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:18:11 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »
i am not sure with this topic.

I used the small script by MARO and messed around for a while
and eventually it played video and sound.

But it's a messy thread here. It needs a summary of how
to simply load BOTH the extensions "mplayer no deps" and "smplayer"
and get them working together correctly without this font bug error appearing

I think the answer to the above is in the final paragraph in MARO's post and with his script

But you say you still have the error on 3 fresh installs of TCL as experiments?

hmmm

Vince.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
three times because of other reasons, however each time the new install didn't fix this for me.  neither did the additional executed command or set manually..
:(

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
Ok there was in fact an easy fix.

download an install a ttf (font)  like ttf-bitstream-vera.tcz  then open up subtitles and under normal fonts select vera from the /usr/local/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera location.

note prior to this I had selected a system font which didn't obviously work.

Am wondering if I should add the ttf extension as a dependency of smplayer so i'll not have to have it loaded unnecessarily?

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:41 AM »
I recall I used a system font successfully. I think the issue is that you still had fontconfig enabled and not regular fonts, since with the latter the path needs to be specified instead of a name (/usr/share/fonts/luxisr.ttf instead of "Sans Serif").
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
i finally got "mplayer" and "smplayer" working together.

I used the script MARO wrote. After that i closed and re-opened
"smplayer" and after some messing about it finally plays video and sound.

still, it shows on error in the terminal.....Xlib error...mising "SYNC" file in device 0:0...or something.

Sorry forgot to mention that I too had this original OP issue, on one occasion I found that installing MPlayer first then install SMPlayer second the frontend automatically finds MPlayer, however the path can also be specified.
The path is /usr/local/bin/mplayer  exactly like that (no caps)   So there are two methods to resolve this problem.

Unfortunately there are many issues (here are some of the major ones)..

Yeah I've seen these Xlib:  extension "SYNC" missing on display ":0.0". warning messages whenever I click anything in the 'smplayer' GUI. But in my experience they can be completely ignored and are only showing up when using the 'Xvesa' X server (so using 'Xorg' would make them "disappear").
I agree entirely with this.  this error occurs only when smplayer is run from terminal and afaik  is the only error or issue which can be ignored safely, as every other issue I've experienced stops mplayer dead in it's tracks and quits running.  :(
Alright I've now done a further bit of analysis: As it turns out the "culprit" appears to be a default setting of 'use_ass_subtitles=true' (in '~/.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini'). Therefore instead of getting a correction as a side effect of a related change in the preferences
The same outcome could also be achieved via sed -i '/use_ass_subtitles=true/s#true#false#' ~/.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini Obviosly an initial settings file is required before running that command. Having run 'smplayer' just once beforehand (and then terminated the same) should achieve just that.
This right?  
Code: [Select]
sudo sed -i '/use_ass_subtitles=true/s#true#false#' ~/.config/smplayer/smplayer.iniissuing the command had NO effect on my install whatsoever.  clearly something else I was doing wrong again :(
(I think I know why though)
Also
I'd rather suggest to ensure that 'Enable normal subtitles' is selected in 'Options' --> 'Preferences' --> 'Subtitles' on the 'Font and Colors' tab, instead of 'Enable SSA/ASS subtitles'
Although it is implied here that SSA/ASS subtitles are the default,  on every install I've accomplished 'Enable normal subtitles' has always been selected by default.  Unless I misunderstood.

It took me a fair bit of trial and error (plus studying of the 'smplayer' sources) to come up with an initial work-around: In 'smplayer' choose 'Options' --> 'Preferences' and then 'Subtitles'. Remove the tick from the 'Freetype support' box and click 'Apply'. After that change some additional correction to the 'smplayer' settings appears to be applied and the  'Freetype support' can be selected again (if the users wishes to do so) before leaving the 'Preferences' with 'OK'. Afterwards I had no trouble to play any kind of media with 'smplayer', which handed over the work successfully to 'mplayer'.
I'm glad this worked for you but this is yet another example of something which worked for someone else but has never accomplished anything in my scenario.  lol

'MPlayer-svn-gtk2.tcz'  this is nice, comes with it's own gui front end, pity it crashes hard with so many popup error messages then shuts down WTH??  I guess some screen shots might help, but they are all on the lines of "compiler errors"  Not forgetting my personal favorite "warning MV's not available"

I think the issue is that you still had fontconfig enabled and not regular fonts, since with the latter the path needs to be specified instead of a name (/usr/share/fonts/luxisr.ttf instead of "Sans Serif").
I'm stumped, despite all the instructions here and in the info file the ability to "disable fontconfig" remains somewhat elusive. :(
I guess a manual edit (which is not described anywere that I can find) of the smplayer.ini file
listed under
[Subtitles]
use_fontconfig=true change to false

The above manual edit also fails to prevent the "smplayer couldn't identify which mplayer you are using"  error message.  BTW this error is unrecoverable..

meanwhile I install a ttf  (font) and specify it's path in the smplayer subtitle configuration which works perfectly 100% of the time no matter what setting are enabled or disabled anywhere else.  pity the smplayer front end is so messed up :(

still looking for the perfect front end for mplayer..

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:04:11 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »
Hello, yes.

What i have done is start again from scratch with the 2 tools and just used "bug fix advice" of installing a font. It's mentioned ealier in this thread.

Installing the font seems to solve the issues.

thanks,

Vince.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Did yo see this thread  http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=10347.0  ?

there seems to be some resemblance and a fix for the ""XLib: extension XVideo missing on display 0:0""  issue
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:42:18 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
hello,

yes, i did see that thread and will take a look at it later.

i will start with a fresh system from scratch and see what, if any, errors
appear after i have done the simple "install a font" fix.  I seem to recall
that the "X lib missing.....etc" bug does not appear.

thanks

VInce.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
I don't think you would notice unless starting the player from the terminal.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
Ahhh ok right.

I seem to recall that you are right. I "did" start smplayer from the terminal on some
previous occasions and this may have provoked this "Xlib.... missing..in device 0.0 etc" bug

thanks

Vince.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »
Somehow i think it's more that the error goes unnoticed when when launched from a menu, rather than the terminal provoking the error to show..  just a thought.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 02:39:15 AM »
hell

yes maybe

Vince.