WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (fixed-DOH user error!!) Does using norestore boot option erase mydata contents  (Read 7838 times)

Offline coreplayer2

While troubleshooting one issue I came across another!

To boot without loading the backup contents I used "norestore" at the boot options a couple of times.  when finished with the test I  attempted to boot normally yet none of my settings have been restored, eg downloads and previously used terminal commands.    After checking the mydata.tgz file I noticed that the file is now empty!  A'aaaah!!

Is this normal ?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:16:32 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Guy

Re: Does using norestore boot option erase mydata.tgz
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
No, that is not normal.

If you stay with the defaults it will not happen.

However, if you boot with norestore, then change settings so you backup the empty directories, it will happen.

You can use safe backup,

or even backup with date and time, http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup_date

so you can revert to a previous backup.

If you install on a hard drive, use persistent home and opt.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
That is not the answer to the problem.
There can be more to a backup than home and opt.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
There can be more to a backup than home and opt.

You know, I was beginning to wonder about that.   Since Opt and Home directories are already persistent and I still can't save terminal commands between sessions yet had no problem with recalling previously used terminal command before today.

I do like the save backups with a date stamp, so had better try that asap.   Not sure I understand the princible of a "Safe BackUp? though?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
Safe backup saves the old backup before doing a new one.
If you are doing a persistent home, you must remove home from .filetool.lst.
The same idea applies to a persistent opt.
If you do not do this, the restore at boot will overwrite your persistent home and opt with an old backup.

.filetool.lst should contain other files that may need backup, like etc/passwd, etc/shadow, usr/local/etc/ssh etc.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »
Cools thanks, that makes sense.  So how do I instigate the change so every backup whether manual or at shutdown are always a "Safe BackUp" please?   I mean how to make the default action a Safe BackUp?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:31:02 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
I think you need to select safe backup each time.

Backup with date and time can be set up to run automatically each time you turn the computer off.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Well I guess I'll have to make the time date stamp the quest of the day,  because I really find the shutdown menu a major inconvenience.   To shutdown one has to make two positive point and click attempts and activate a dropdown menu and yet another selection!!    Ok I can tell you right now that if I want to shutdown or reboot then the command is deliberate and should only require one click, two if you really have to have a confirmation, ie; a click on the shutdown button followed by a second click on the type of shutdown, either a reboot or shutdown.  This at least serves two purposes..   A backup ought to be automated whose configuration may be accessed through the options panel.

Hope I'm not being too hard on the poor shutdown menu, but jeez it sure is hard work.

just my two cent's, what do you think?

Meanwhile it's possible my initial problem occurred during an accidental restoration of a filetool.lst which contained Home and opt entries whilst they are also part of a persistent install to a USB drive.  Additionally interfered with by booting to a cd version of tinycore on the same system.  A'aaah! the confusion.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:20:18 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »
Backup with date and time can be set up to run automatically each time you turn the computer off.

Just curious. Is ACPI event handled to initiate shutdown and create backup?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
Another unbelievable "issue" as stated by OP. Of course NOT. Using the restore boot option does not erase mydata.tgz!

It takes a conscience action to boot with norestore.
It take another conscience action to select from the drop down menu to initiate a null backup based on your first conscience action!

It is kinda like driving a car. How does the "gas pedal" know if I want to go forward or backwards?
It takes a conscience action to move the lever (drop down menu item) to make it happen.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline coreplayer2

Jeez it was just a simple question..   sorry my reference was to the contents of the backup not mydata.tgz  my bad.

Now that I learned a little more about the concept the issue is clearly user error, as far as I can remember I removed the "home" entry from .filetool.lst    I didn't mention the issue has occurred three times this last week.  

Also in an attempt to utilize the "safe backup" method one of my tinycore systems has become totally corrupted and is unusable, whilst the other continues to not keep data or app preferences between sessions/reboots..

I think the only course left is to start over...  ie from a bootable cd delete all backups and the entire contents of the opt and home directories then reboot hopefully that will salvage the situation.

BTW  I still experience on a daily basis multiple errors which are backup related, eg; "invalid device" "missing file xxx"  and the latest one, "empty archive"    all of which will prevent the pc from shutting down.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:09:57 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

Finally I'm getting to the root issue.

You can't have a persistent home & opt on a FAT32 system, I must have misread that somewhere...

I always wondered why removing the home entry from filetool.lst would cause the loss of user files and history, phew that was a painful lesson!

Ok I gotta come up with a new plan..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:41:12 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

OK guys,   A new plan.   reformatted the USB drive with ext2  leaving a fat partition on the backend for file transfer between other machines.

Now it looks like home & opt persistence is functional as expected :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
There's a clear error on boot if one tried persistent home/opt on a non-linux fs. Though it does not pause the boot, perhaps it should.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

Yes and I ignored this statement thinking it was in reference to the NTFS partition on another drive!! lol

I know better now :)