WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Transmission  (Read 7649 times)

Offline skeletonpass

Transmission
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »
I love tinycore, it is exactly what I needed, I wanted a lightweight linux to run my bittorrent app - Transmission (thank you guys)
however...

I am still a newb when it comes to linux and therefore I need help.
I am trying to mount my NAS to TC so that when I download with Transmission it goes to my NAS.
I have mounted using the following command.

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/media/BitTorrent /mnt/BitTorrent -o user=admin,pass=*****

this mount command works (after I installed samba3)

however...

I am unable to write to this directory, I can create files/folders using the following commands "sudo touch /mnt/BitTorrent/test.log & sudo mkdir /mnt/BitTorrent/test"
but Transmission does not use the sudo command to create files/folders. remember I am a newb and need to take baby steps, please if you can help me, give me a very detailed instructions.

Thank You

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Transmission
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
Hi skeletonpass
If all you want to do is access the NAS, and not share files from your lightweight TC setup, you don't
need to install a heavyweight application like Samba3. Instead of Samba3 I would recommend using

filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz
and
cifs-utils.tcz

It looks like it may be a permissions problem. You are mounting as user admin but in the TC environment
you are running as user tc. In other words, without the sudo, it is user tc trying to write to the NAS. I run
my server with minimal security, simple file sharing and guest access. I allow access by local machines
and block access by the router. This way I don't have to deal with users and permissions.

Anyway, just a shot in the dark, you could try one of the following

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/media/BitTorrent /mnt/BitTorrent -o user=admin,pass=***** noperm
or
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/media/BitTorrent /mnt/BitTorrent -o guest

and see if it helps.

Offline skeletonpass

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey Rich

Awesome, I will try the cifs-utils.tcz

I will try the mount commands when I get home and let you know how I go.
This makes sense.

Thank You

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
Hi skeletonpass
Just as a follow up, all you need to install is  cifs-utils.tcz. It will pull in  filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz
automatically since it's a dependency.

EDIT: For comparison, Samba3 is about 29MB while cifs-utils is about 2.3MB.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:57:20 PM by Rich »

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »
Whilst I fully agree with the advice provided by Rich I'd like to point out that in my experience it is even enough to just install the 'filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz' extension. I've just done a short re-test with a Win2k host (using both FAT32 and NTFS shares) to confirm what I believed to be correct.

Furthermore for me the '-o noperm,user=WIN_USER,pass=WIN_PW' CIFS parameter were required whilst '-o guest' turned out to be not sufficient (from a permissions point of view). But your NAS might be more tolerant in this regard.

To get a better understanding of the available parameter I'd suggest to query the man-page (the one over at linux.die.net is too outdated, even though it's likely to show up tops when searching with google).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
Hi maro
You are correct, the filesystems extension is sufficient. However, the syntax is now  mount -t auto  or
possibly just  mount, although I have not tried the latter. If you use  mount -t cifs  it will look for the
mount.cifs helper and fail if cifs-utils.tcz is not installed. Either way will work, you just have to be aware
of the slight syntax differences.

The reason I can get away with guest is because I set  guest ok=yes,  security=share, and
guest account=nobody.

Offline skeletonpass

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
tried - filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz (didnt work, kept saying 'no such device or address')
tried - cifs-utils.tcz (worked)

mounted as Rich posted
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/media/BitTorrent /mnt/BitTorrent -o noperm,user=admin,pass=*****

worked!

Thank You.

Offline skeletonpass

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:37:28 AM »
everything is working, however when I reboot, I can no longer access transmission from Terminal

I have followed the guide to installing TC to HDD http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html
and I have installed Transmission
I usually just type in "transmission-daemon -f" and it works until I reboot, this file does not appear in my directory once I reboot.

Can someone help me? I have tried re-installing everything and doing a backup/restore, this didn't work.

Offline skeletonpass

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:12 AM »
I have figured it out, I just ran 'tce-load -i transmission.tcz' and it installed everything (without overwriting the settings.json)
great!  ;D

now when I reboot, how do I get it to automatically do this for me? or is there a better way? (not sure running this command on boot is the proper solution)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:57:27 AM »
If you read the wiki all will be explained..

Offline skeletonpass

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:36 AM »
the wiki is huge, I wouldn't know where to begin. remember I'm a newb and it would take me a whole year to understand a fraction of that, I only need a very simple setup, please help.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
Have a look at the onboot part in http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_apps.

Since you have transmission already downloaded to your /tce folder, you can use Apps Audit to set it "onboot"

Offline skeletonpass

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
aweomse, thank heaps, now when I reboot my computer the apps load on boot 'file-utils.tcz, transmission.tcz, openssh'

but

how do I get the applications to auto-start when I get into tinycore.

for 'file-util.tcz' i need to run the command - "sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/media/BitTorrent /mnt/BitTorrent -o noperm,user=admin,pass=*****"
for 'transmission.tcz' i need to run the command - "sudo transmission-daemon -f"
for 'openssh.tcz' i need to run the commands:
 "sudo cp /usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_config.example ssh_config"
 "sudo cp /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config.example sshd_config"
 "sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/openssh start"

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
Hi skeletonpass
Open the file  /opt/bootlocal.sh and enter your startup commands there.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
the wiki is huge, I wouldn't know where to begin. remember I'm a newb and it would take me a whole year to understand a fraction of that, I only need a very simple setup, please help.

There is a search function...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)