WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (Fixed) App browser indicates "failed: invalid Argument" when installing apps  (Read 6337 times)

coreplayer

Selecting an app from the appbrowser / Local  results in a "failed: invalid Argument"  error!

Any Ideas?  Too little information?

!!  Possibly I've mixed up the path of tce?  we'll see

Here are typical error messages

mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /tmp/tcloop/rox-filer failed: Invalid argument

mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /tmp/tcloop/wireless_tools failed: Invalid argument

mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /tmp/tcloop/coreutils failed: Invalid argument

Startpacks install ok

this happens on two machines, one a HDD install and the other a USB instal
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:34:20 PM by coreplayer »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
I get that from time to time, and it usually is something to do with dep files or updates. So delete the relevant tcz from your tce folder and try again.

coreplayer

Thanks

I get the message on all apps and even those without dependencies

I feel this is coupled with the save/backup file and permanent home & opt directories.

tried to change the path and the issues temporarily were resolved, however they returned later along with another message " like file no longer found"  after the file was just selected go figure

Offline maro

When using persistent home and opt directories one needs to adjust the "whitelist" (i.e. '/opt/.filetool.lst'). This has been told countless times here in the forum and also features on the relevant Wiki page.

I trust you have followed this advice. But just make sure that the 'tce' directory stored in '/opt/.tce_dir' is pointing to the expected location.

Offline Guy

1. Set up persistent home and opt, as well as backup properly.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup_hd
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup_usb

2. Update dep files and extensions.

You will probably solve most issues with those two things.

3. If the problems still occurs, report it on this wiki. If it is a reproducable bug, it needs to be fixed.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

coreplayer

Thanks guys for your input.  I came back in to say that I believe the issue was primarily caused by downloading necessary wireless apps and dependencies via a Windows pc using NTFS.

It appears that every file which had been moved across an NTFS volume had in some way been effected by it.  This anomaly was consistent on two notebooks using the same files.    After deleting and replacing  these apps and dependencies with freshly downloaded apps to a FAT32 USB drive there have been no further issue.

I can't stress enough how hard it is to download wireless drivers and utilities to a notebook which does not have a wired connection in a classic chicken before the egg syndrome.  since I woke this am i've been working on this issue which so far has still not been successful in connecting via WiFi but we're getting there slowly.

:-[

Offline Guy

Do you know about network.gz

To use it install Tinycore 3.7rc2 (or in the future, higher).

coreplayer

Yes I am aware of the starter pack "Network" ty   This file (startpack) is the only file which is not effected by the file system issue, but it doesn't help much since the Realtek driver is missing.

Meanwhile if I download apps directly to a FAT32 drive, then transfer them to the notebook all is well.  Which confirms this issue has been resolved.

thanks
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:00:45 PM by coreplayer »

Offline tinypoodle

Yes I am aware of the starter pack "Network" ty   This file (startpack) is the only file which is not effected by the file system issue, but it doesn't help much since the Realtek driver is missing.

That's very vague, as in-kernel realtek drivers should be included.

Also, this should lead to considering if perhaps there should be another starter pack featuring all out-of-kernel network drivers available as extensions at current - or - if those potentially could be included in existing starter pack.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Guy

It appears that every file which had been moved across an NTFS volume had in some way been effected by it.  This anomaly was consistent on two notebooks using the same files.

This is probably an ownership or permission issue.

It would be interesting to know for sure.

You can check in the terminal by typing

ls -l

Compare the ones that have been on ntfs with those which work.

You can also see ownership and permissions in some file managers.

Offline coreplayer2

Re: App browser indicates "failed: invalid Argument" when installing apps
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »

That's very vague, as in-kernel realtek drivers should be included.

Also, this should lead to considering if perhaps there should be another starter pack featuring all out-of-kernel network drivers available as extensions at current - or - if those potentially could be included in existing starter pack.

Sorry, the device is a USB WiFi adapter which is using the very popular and modern b/g/n Realtek wireless rtl8192su chip http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView

I have the linux driver source direct from the adapter manufacturer and a tar.gz archive from realtek which includes the rtl8712 8188 8191 8192SU usb for linux v2.6.6.0, also have as a bin file and as a deb install archive.     I have not had a chance to learn how to compile the driver for tc  yet and so have temporarily set up the XP driver in ndiswrapper, which is working fine although somewhat high in cpu usage.  

more later
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:51:57 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

It appears that every file which had been moved across an NTFS volume had in some way been effected by it.  This anomaly was consistent on two notebooks using the same files.

This is probably an ownership or permission issue.

It would be interesting to know for sure.

You can check in the terminal by typing

ls -l

Compare the ones that have been on ntfs with those which work.

You can also see ownership and permissions in some file managers.

will check