WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installer for computers without a CD or DVD drive.  (Read 29094 times)

Offline Guy

Installer for computers without a CD or DVD drive.
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:40:42 AM »
I have been working on another installer.

It is designed to install Tiny Core on a computer without a cd or dvd drive.

Users can download Parted Magic and install it on a usb drive using UNetbootin.

Set up partitions.

Create a boot directory.

Copy tinycore.gz, bzImage, and my installer to boot.

Then run a script to install extlinux.

It can also be run from other linux distros.

It consists of the essential extlinux files with an install script.

I think it is a good idea to make it available as a tar.gz file.

It is under 250 kb uncompressed, and under 150 kb as a tar.gz file.

1. Is the team happy to have another starter pack?

2. I am looking for suggestions as to what to call it.

If I call it install.tgz, people will confuse it with install.gz.

I could call it install-without-cd.tgz, but that seems too long.

It would be ideal to call it extlinux.tgz, but that may also confuse people, as install.tgz also has extlinux.

3. Where do I send it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:23:09 PM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Installer for computers without a CD or DVD drive.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:01:44 AM »
Both current installers work without a CD or DVD drive.
In fact, you already know, that I will be offering a install CD as requested by the community.
Let try to focus to improve on that which has already been made available instead of trying to compete.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »
The current installers work without a CD or DVD drive after Tinycore has already been installed the first time.

They cannot install Tinycore the first time, without a CD or DVD drive, on their own.

We use Parted Magic and UNetbootin, as that makes it possible, and as easy as possible for new users.

I suggest the following:

Make this new CD an install CD, as well as a repair and rescue CD.

Include a file manager. DirWin is one possibility.

Include GParted. I know you don't need GParted, but it is probably the easiest for people learning for the first time.

If anyone thinks of other apps which would be widely used for installation, or repair or rescue, also include them. Don't bother with rarely used apps, they can use Parted Magic for that.

At this point, we don't need to use Parted Magic. Some people may still use it, but Tinycore has all of the tools needed so it is not necessary to use Parted Magic.

Tinycore has a big advantage over Parted Magic. It starts a lot quicker, particularly if apps are loaded when you need them (ie OnDemand is used). If you are busy, this makes a difference.

After doing this, it still can't be installed without a CD or DVD drive, the first time, on it's own.

I suggest having two scripts, one to run in Linux, and one to run in Windows, which can be used to install Tinycore without a CD or DVD drive.

At this point, we don't need to use UNetbootin. Some people may still use it, but Tinycore has all of the tools needed so it is not necessary to use UNetbootin.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
From day one you could install Tiny Core without a CD or DVD.

Copy two files, bzImage and tinycore.gz, from the distribution files area (http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/distribution_files/) into ether an existing directory or a partition.  Add, adjust, or install a boot loader of your choice and away you go.

Tiny Core does not promote a traditional installation. The only thing the new GUI Installers do is make the choice of which boot loader to use and automate the process of copying said files.

The after setup files and directories are easily created via appbrowser's Set button which is enabled when booted into cloud mode.

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
Robert

What you said is true, after they are running Tinycore. But if they can't run Tinycore to start with, it is not.

I am trying to understand if you get what I am saying or not.

Many people have a computer with only Windows.

If they have a CD or DVD drive, they can run Tinycore from the CD and install it.

If they don't have a CD or DVD drive, they can't run Tinycore from the CD, so they can't install it, without using some other method.

One of those methods is to use UNetbootin.

Do you think it is not a good idea to have a script which can be run from Windows, and used to install Tinycore without a CD or DVD drive, and another script which can be run from Linux, and used to install Tinycore without a CD or DVD drive?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:06:15 AM by Guy »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
UNetbootin would be a windows program. So, no I don't think I should be trying to distribute a Windows program. Besides using UNetbootin is quite easy, Same of other Linux distribution. Also other Linux distrbutions would mean a boot loader is readily available to boot Tiny Core from a directory or even the iso file itself.

I also am not inclined to officially distribute programs to run in other OS as it is not my domain. Nor do I have means to test all such distributions.

We have the program and scripting section if you are so inclined.

aus9

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
hi

Forgive the hijack from the OP theme of NO optical drive

1) I have successfully installed TC by downloading the bzImage and tinycore.gz using Knoppix and using
Knoppix grub-legacy files.

Initially you may get a fail as grub-legacy looks for vmlinuz in its defined pathway.

I suspect this is the also the reason why more modern (excuse the humour heh heh) grub2 fails to auto-detect TC as a bootable distro.....grub2 is searching for string vmlinuz

2) So naturally I symlink bzImage to vmlinuz and then Knoppix grub-legacy (and any other traditional live cd/dvd) works

3) I am hoping roberts might see some merit in the idea of renaming his kernel as
vmlinuz

Mods.....as this is a hijack feel free to split and move but I am posting in response to the quote from roberts

"Also other Linux distrbutions would mean a boot loader is readily available to boot Tiny Core from a directory or even the iso file itself."

If you move it pls remove my quote as it would then not appear ruder than it already may be perceived?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:03:13 PM by aus9 »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
Ah, true. Indeed. It is also the case that I hear alot of grumblings about the complexity of Grub2. Some distros are staying with the original, now called Grub Legacy. Too many boot managers for me!

aus9

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »
roberts

thanks for your gracious reply

any chance of considering the merit of the proposal to rename TC kernel from bzImage to vmlinuz?

In the fullness of time ....of course

aus9

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
and a complete hijack rather than do it by pm

Mods

feel free to delete if inappropriate...or when corrected

1) I appear to have no reply function to this post
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9585.0

no worries

2) Can you  amend your first post to read  "network.gz" in lieu of "network-tools.gz"

b) according to my eyesight no network-tools.gz appears in the dowloads repository

If I am wrong.....just delete the post and I will stop drinking

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »
1) I appear to have no reply function to this post
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9585.0

Thread is locked   ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
roberts

thanks for your gracious reply

any chance of considering the merit of the proposal to rename TC kernel from bzImage to vmlinuz?

In the fullness of time ....of course
I have not forgotten your request. The Kernel name will be changed from bzImage to vmlinuz starting with Tiny Core v4.0. This will be useful for those wishing to use grub2 and its auto-detection capability.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
Oh no!!  not a name change :(   What about all those all those folks who use Grub4Dos ??   who are quite happy with the naming structure as it is??

I guess the file supports Virtual Memory and is compressed, so how come it evolved to bzImage effectively bypassing vmlinuz?  maybe I got this confused but I thought bzImage is smarter in the function of expanding to non contiguous memory and a natural progression from vmlinuz?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:59:17 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »
It's just a name, bzImage = vmlinuz for all purposes. You're free to name your kernel file as you want.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »
I don't suppose naming it something like "tc3.x" or "2.6.33.3-tInycore" would simplify things?

;)   the capital "I" is just to help keep the forums active  ::)

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar