WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: DirWin beta - tiny file manager  (Read 17658 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: DirWin beta - tiny file manager
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 03:17:08 AM »
great job I like it, better than many alternatives.   Only thing, navigation could be greatly improved with a "back" arrow (as in move back to last open directory and an "Up" arrow (as in next level up in the file system from current location), because backspacing through the address line until you arrive at your destination is a little tedious.      Additionally i had some copy and paste issues but I think they were permission related..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:15:30 AM by coreplayer2 »

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 06:49:14 AM »
Hi MikeLockmoore

I've noticed that the first time the system does a "du -ck" in a mounted filesystem, the scan can be quite slow, but later scans are much, much faster.  Does anyone know a better way to get this information?  Especially if it does not take much code?

I probably don't fully understand the issue but couldn't you background or fork the task and deal with
the data when it becomes available?

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
coreplayer2: Thanks.  To go "up", you can double-click the ".." directory item as long as "show hidden" is enabled.  Do you know that you can also click any of the thin bars along the top edge of the path input box and go to the corresponding ancestor directory?  So there are many "up" buttons already, just kindo of small and they move around a bit.

The desire to add 'just one more little thing' (not quoting you, just the general sentiment) is strong and needs to be checked and balanced by consideration of the various forms of cost that a new thing would impose.  And I'm trying to be very stingy with code size in this app.  Fluff can be more "lavish".   ;)

IF I do a "back" button in DirWin, it would be a trivial "go to the last place I was" version.  Clicking it several times in a row would just cycle between two directories over and over.  It would not "unwind" a history of visited places like most web browsers do.  Fluff already tracks multiple previous locations, so I could do a full "rewind" kind of back button there.

Rich:  Yes, I have thought about forking the process, or maybe having a child process do this.  It can be done, I'm sure, one way or the other.  But my stingy-ness with code size in DirWin may not allow it. We'll see.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »
Hi MikeLockmoore
I was thinking more along the lines of how scripts put commands in the background, though I don't
know if it will in this case. Maybe passing a command something like

du -ck > done.txt &

as a system command will allow it to return right away? Then check for the file to appear?

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
Rich: That may be a good starting point.  When I have some development time, I should try that.

Offline -tri-

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
DirWin looks like very promising.  I am looking forward to it. Hope it will be included in TC base soon.
Keep on  work.
Thanx

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »
Yes.

Dirwin looks good. It would be good to have a file manager in the base TCL system.

Vince.

Offline newbody

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
Hope it is okay to ask my very naive question. I try to learn but I am challenged obviously.

No "use sudo" option (Guy should be happy ...)

Guy why would you be happy to take away such an important and handy feature for us who are noobs?
Can you give an easy to grasp answer hopefully.

Edit after reading the very reasonable answer below.

Guy seen from that perspective I fully agree. Maybe one could have a compromise allowing computer challenged people like me to edit a config file and that would allow us to have the sudo button after us opening the config file and editing out the # infront of sudo button and if one never edit that file then it never get seen by the kids.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:30:44 AM by newbody »
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline Guy

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
There are some situations where there is only one person who uses the computer. They are normally happy being able to tick a box for sudo.

There are other situations where there is more than one person who uses the computer. In some situations, these other users may be children, or people with little understanding of how it works.

Children can easily mess up an operating system. If sudo is easily available, it makes it easy for children to mess things up.

It is easy to type sudo and the name of the app, making sudo available. But children are unlikely to know what to type, preventing them from messing it up.

In the past I have expressed this opinion. It is just an opinion. Other opinions are also welcome.

I do think it is a good idea to make it less destructable by children.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Guy

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
I think most people agree, it is a good idea to have a file manager in the base.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
Hello,

it's true. A file manager in the base system is a very good "common sense" feature to have.

(my opinion)

Vince.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
DirWin is awesome amoungst many file managers especially if size matters.    while not in the same size class, if space allows once you go  xfe  which is conveniently packaged in a tinycore extension there's no going back  :)

I'm sure my children knew how to type sudo long before they could say dada , just like the movie >:(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:38:55 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline beerstein

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »
I would like to see a small and good file manager in the base too again. After testing and cosidering the pros
and cons robert please take a look at it
thank you
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
I find that once I descend into a directory, clicking on '..' results in a flurry of du activity, but I still end up in the same directory.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »
@gerald_clark: Double-click on '..' to change directories.