WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Will tcl work for me?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline BifPib

Will tcl work for me?
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
I have been scouring the net for info on tcl for the past few weeks and playing with it in VMs.  Motorola android phones are able to be flashed back to their original firmaware via an .sbf file, there is a way to do this with window$ but of course it is buggy and works differently for different people, there is a linux utility (sbf_flash) that works flawlessly.  What I would like to do is pack tcl with the proper .sbf file, sbf_flash, a shell script to run it and a bootlocal.sh tweak to start the script upon boot.  I have used SliTaz in the past to accomplish this, it works fine but I much prefer tcl, extremely fast boot time, perfect hardware detection, well... you guys know why tcl rocks.  The way I have done it in the past and the way I would like to do it with tcl:

Boot tcl in VirtualBox
Download the proper files
Write my script
Edit bootlocal.sh to run the script at boot time
Create an .iso of the live system I am running
Upload the .iso from tcl to the web

The only way I've found to build an iso is with ezremaster, the program looks good but it requires a mydata.tgz, I am having problems with backing up tcl to create this file, this may be the only problem I need to solve to create the .iso.  Whenever I try to back up it says "Error occurred.  Make sure you are using a valid backup/restore device", also tcl never creates the /tce directory that should be in place to contain my backup.  Any helpful hints and or links would be much appreciated.  I am not a total linux n00b but I am fairly new to this.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Will tcl work for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
Hi BifPib
Try booting using boot code  tce=hda1 replacing hda1 with the desired drive. Backup should then work.

Offline BifPib

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
So I need to back up to an external drive?  Is there a way to keep the mydata.tgz within tc? To use the boot codes I will have to burn a LiveCD, I have been using tcl in a vm on my mac and it doesn't capture the function keys properly.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
Hi BifPib
I don't know anything about VM's. When you boot and the Tinycore banner comes up you
type  tinycore tce=hda1  and hit enter, no function keys are required. You need to backup to persistent
storage of some kind.

Offline BifPib

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
Ok, thanks for the help Rich!  I'll let you know after I get a LiveCD burned or try it in a VM again.

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:35:57 PM »
@BifPib: If you just boot any VM only with the CD-ROM image you've got no place to store the backup file. So just create a (small) virtual disk and attach it to the VM. You can then use the suggested boot code, provided the disk gets recognized as 'hda' which depends on which disk controller type you use and which disk "slot" you assign it to.

Offline BifPib

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »
Thanks maro.  I don't have to boot it in a VM, I can use a LiveCD.  If I boot it off a CD where would I store the backup?  On an external flash drive?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »
Hi BifPib
You can save it to any drive you wish. If you save to a USB memory stick you should also add the
boot code  waitusb=10

Offline BifPib

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »
Thanks again Rich, I'm about done for the night but I'll mess with tc some more in the morning and let you guys know.