WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Beep bb applet  (Read 3170 times)

Offline SamK

Beep bb applet
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:51:33 AM »
Hopefully not too far of topic...

Associated with the previously agreed activation of the on-board sounder/speaker I would request that, size permitting, a beep function is added to busybox as mentioned in reply #11 of this topic http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9035.0

Would you prefer this request to be raised elsewhere?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Beep bb applet
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:01:44 AM »
Ya, not related to this thread. But my opinion on that is the same, you can beep from the shell, so why have a bb applet?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:53:59 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

Beep bb applet
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »
If the shell approach is
Code: [Select]
echo -en "\007"as mentioned in post #9 of the referenced topic it simply seems rather obscure, difficult to remember and thereby less intuitive to use compared to something named "beep". 

Might it be possible for Core to have something akin to a permanent alias included named beep that invokes the echo based command?

Offline SamK

Beep bb applet
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:20:08 AM »
@curaga: As the original suggestion is slightly off topic, would it be OK to reply to you via PM to avoid cluttering up this thread?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Beep bb applet
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:52:52 AM »
Let's continue in this new topic, unless you need to talk privately to me, in which case do PM.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:56:17 AM »
Let's continue in this new topic...
Thanks for splitting the topic.

From the previous topic
Quote from: curaga
Why not put that in a script?

...you can beep from the shell, so why have a bb applet?

As is often the case there are multiple ways of both looking at a matter and arriving at a destination.  Using a simple script such as the one you suggest is a perfectly good answer for a Linux developer/experienced user.  Typically this user has the necessary background to do it, or sufficient skills, time and inclination to research a way to do it.

Recently, there has been a great deal of discussion (and work), to make TC more user friendly.  I am not contending that all new users of TC will require a beep function, the suggestion is more in line with the idea of greater ease of use.  In my view it is more obvious to use an applet or program named beep than an obscure echo command.

From the previous topic
Quote from: curaga
I don't see how there's a general need...
In this topic http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9035.0, replies #10 and 11, two applets/programs (both coincidently named beep) were suggested.  This may indicate that the respective forum members have/had a use for them.  Alternatively they may simply have been sufficiently interested to post the results of a search. In either case one might conclude that the software authors envisaged a demand for their their apps.  Way back to to dim and dusty days of DOS there have been beep utilities around and I have used them in various projects over the years.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
As a quick workaround, the precompiled statically linked busybox from busybox.net does feature 'beep'.

This does not mean that I would not support the inclusion of 'beep' in busybox of TC.
One advantage of it over the shell approach are all the options of the command.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)