WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: grub4dos.gz  (Read 57559 times)

coreplayer

Re: tc-grub4dos
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »
That would explain a lot of things!  But the Tiny Core iso was the latest available today (this morning actually)

Ok, I guess the Beta version solved the issue of loading "StarterPacks"  whether it helped or not is another matter...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:53:59 AM by coreplayer »

coreplayer

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »
This thread was particularly interesting for a couple of reasons (one above)  and also for the type of install I've been attempting to achieve.  Throughout the day I've been scouring this forum for clues to how Tiny Core defines root which is needed for a frugal install using grub4dos v1.7

Unfortunately all the guides have been written with the assumption that folks are going to install TCL into a directory on a running windows system, or a clean HDD using isolinux/extlinux (or something like that) as a boot loader.  sorry i didn't pay much attention to this since neither of the above strategies are an acceptable option in my opinion.

Instead I needed a multiboot USB thumbdrive for testing of a few Linux Distro's using a bootloader with a graphical interface.
Additionally I needed to install a copy of TCL to a directory on a dedicated ext2 system partition shared with another separated OS within it's own directory using yet another graphical bootloader interface.

The Bootloader used in both cases is grub4dos v1.7 which features support for a graphical menu.   Both these entries in grub4dos's configuration file were successful in booting both the ISO and a frugal TC install.

# Start of global options

color blue/cyan yellow/blue white/black cyan/black
gfxmenu /message.xxx
timeout 10
default 0

# End of global options

# Frugal Install Tiny Core on USB
title Tiny Core Linux
   find --set-root /tce/bzImage
   kernel /tce/bzImage quiet tce=sdb1
   initrd /tce/tinycore.gz

Prior to figuring out this important piece of the puzzle "tce=sdb1"  I had booted the ISO directly which is located in the same directory using grub4dos

# Boot ISO's  

title Tiny Core Linux  ISO on USB
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /tce/tinycore_3.7rc2.iso
  map /tce/tinycore_3.7rc2.iso (hd32)
  map --hook
  root (hd32)
  chainloader (hd32)
  boot

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:15:31 AM by coreplayer »

Offline maro

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
@coreplayer: Using a boot code like 'tce=sdb1' where '/dev/sdb' represents a USB drive is not a good idea. As these devices can end up on different 'sdX' depending on which system they are plugged in, etc. It is therefore much better to use 'tce=LABEL=...' or 'tce=UUID=...' as explained in the FAQ.

Likewise the device definition for 'opt=...' and 'home=...' should rather not use any 'sdX'. And not using 'waitusb=SEC' (or rather 'waitusb=SEC:UUID=...' where SEC is a maximum wait time for the USB drive recognition) in this scenario is just asking for problems.

Offline Guy

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »
If you use install.gz, it will automatically set up UUID.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: grub4dos.gz
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Posted a new version of grub4dos.gz. Only change is the icon. Now uses a generic 48x48 Tiny Core icon, instead of a miniature logo.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: grub4dos.gz
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2011, 06:10:55 AM »
hello
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/win32-loader

i have found a similar win32 tool as the above.  It works for PUppy Linux and you just
double click it from the win32 desktop and Puppy is installed. All bootloaders and
such are taken care of and you end up with a dual boot win32/Puppy machine.

One also exists for Ubuntu linux.

Vince.